Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Pygmy cory new home..? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/pygmy-cory-new-home-7101/)

Mating Slinkys 07-25-2007 06:58 AM

Pygmy cory new home..?

OK, as per another post a while ago i am feeling the need to move my Pygmy Cories over to a new tank. Question is, do i wait and buy a new one specifically for them (and whatever else might go well - suggestions please) or do i put them in the 35g community tank i've got set up already...

Currently in the 35g are - 2 Angels
- 2 (female) Kribs
- 2 Yoyo loaches
- 2 Dwarf gouramis
- 4 Mollies
- 1 Plec
- 1 gold ancistrus

It's the loaches i'm most worried about getting the Cories, as i've heard they can be quite agressive, however mine don't bother anyone but each other...

So would the 6 or so Pygmy cories be happy in the 35g, or would i be simply providing an unusual dinner for the rest of the fish?

Thanks again folks!

leifthebunny 07-25-2007 12:31 PM

Well, I'm not sure I would suggest putting the cories in with the kribs, but I've also heard kribs cause issues with angelfish. If they are in their own tank now, though small, you might want to hold off til you get your new tank. Any projected time to get this if you decide to?

Mating Slinkys 07-25-2007 05:09 PM

I've got debts to pay off, so not this month, but my plan is to get as big a tank i can get for about 500 either next month or the month after, depending on bills, i'm hoping to get at least 55g, move the contents of the 35 to the 55 the contents of the 10 to the 35 and then i'll have a 10g going spare.

My two Kribs seem to be fairly calm, they've never been an issue with the angels or anything. They are a pair of females, and i've heard that kribs tend to be more agressive in a mixed sex bunch, so maybe that's why they are calm... On the other hand thay are cichlids so who knows!

There are many hiding places in the 35, and pretty much a forest of plants, would that help the cories?

leifthebunny 07-26-2007 10:08 AM

For cover, cories need actual overhead type cover. I ripped out my patch of Java Moss thinking the caves were enough for the cories and seemed to stress them out a bit because most plants I have in the tank are grassy. I'm leaving the sagittaria in the tank for them to use as caves as the leaves/blades fall over and die. Unfortunately the only leafy plants for cover are growing too slow. :(

Mating Slinkys 07-29-2007 05:24 PM

Well, I've made the move, and the cories seem very happy in their new home, they are much more active, and don't huddle under the filter all the time now. It's lovely to see them shoal and play tag through the planted forest! Nothing has bothered them, the kribs don't even seem to be bothered that they have stolen their cave! They've just moved over to another one...

On a slightly different note, i know cories are known for being hardy little fish but one of mine demonstrated that it was rock hard during the move! I had got all but one moved into the plastic bag i was using for transfer/acclimitisation and had just caught the last one, who was the biggest. As i manouvered the net over the bag and prepaired to tip him in he made a sudden jump... straight into a (fortunately cold) cup of coffee that was sat on the table! Plop, straight in. Panacking slightly, i tipped the coffe onto a plate so i could see the little dude and scooped him back into the net and into the bag. He was in the coffee for about 45 seconds max, but i was a bit worried for him in case the shock did for him, but he seemed ok, and still is, although he did swim very fast for an hour or so after

Mating Slinkys 07-29-2007 05:26 PM

(Edit: oops - double post! that'll teach me to push the wrong buttons!)