Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish Compatibility (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-compatibility-7099/)

assualt911 07-25-2007 05:19 AM

Fish Compatibility

K im planning on getting a new tank, a 55 gallon. My step dad said "you cant put cichlids Plecos, or corydoras in the same tank" because you have to put something like a teaspoon or tablespoon of koushour salt in the tank for the cichlids. but ive seen cichlids, corydoras AND plecos in the same tank. thanks if you can give me an answer :)

mHeinitz57 07-25-2007 09:05 AM

cichlids don't need salt at all. THey will do well in the salt but personaly I don't advise using it regularly. The corys could be okay depending on what cichlids are put in there.

Daz 07-25-2007 09:45 AM

I would'nt put salt in atall. What are the benefits ? :roll:

leifthebunny 07-25-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mHeinitz57
cichlids don't need salt at all. THey will do well in the salt but personaly I don't advise using it regularly. The corys could be okay depending on what cichlids are put in there.

Definitely, I wouldn't recommend salt. Cories and other catfish are less tolerant of salt. As for cichlids & cories, I've got GBRs in with cories. I wouldn't recommend african cichlids with cories though.

assualt911 07-26-2007 06:42 PM

and oscars are fine, right?

mHeinitz57 07-26-2007 07:18 PM

they are fine with salt. If you are asking if they are fine with cories well...it wont take them long to get big enough to want a cory for lunch.

leifthebunny 07-26-2007 07:18 PM

I wouldn't recommend oscars with the other fish listed. Cories and such tend to be much smaller. Oscars get to 18" in size and do better with larger fish.

assualt911 07-26-2007 10:40 PM

so oscars are fine with plecos, cichlids, maybe a silver dollar and a bala shark? thanks if reply (i know alot its just that i dont want to spend to much, ive been working hard for a 14 year old lol i have a job now making about $41 and mowing a field for $10 and anything else i can do. so far i have $100, i got that in 2 days. im trying to get my parents to buy alot of the stuff. they want me to buy stuff off the internet like websites cause i need an extremely good deal, also if anyone knows a site w/ extremely cheap prices other than www.thatpetplace.com and www.drsfostersmith.com id appreciate it, and the prices have to be lower. thanks)

Lupin 07-26-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assualt911
so oscars are fine with plecos, cichlids, maybe a silver dollar and a bala shark?

You cannot keep only one of either species. They are shoaling species and will require plenty of space to swim around and a large group for company. Your 55 gallons is pushing the limits already. No silver dollars and bala sharks for that matter. What is your final stocking list?

assualt911 07-26-2007 11:14 PM

idk :( maybe you can give me some suggestions of a popular fish that ill find at a store but i want an oscar by far. other than the fact that they can get hole in the head, i can take the chance. ill do an oscar and like a few others, im interested in a pleco but also a cichlid. grrr lol