Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Xrays, silver tips, bloodfins, help me choose my shoaling fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/xrays-silver-tips-bloodfins-help-me-70988/)

Jayy 05-21-2011 03:52 PM

Xrays, silver tips, bloodfins, help me choose my shoaling fish

These are what I have in mind for shoaling fish for my tank, the problem is I have to choose one of the three and I'm having a tough time doing so. From what I've seen and read their all really great fish. So it would great if you could give any personal acconts and facts with any of the three to help me choose.

Thanks!:-D

Byron 05-22-2011 12:18 PM

It will help if you could tell us the tank size and the other fish in it. The three tetra species you mention have differing needs and varying behaviours. All three are not compatible in all tanks.

For a start, you might want to check the information in our profiles, since all three are included. Fish profiles are under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top, and these three are obviously under the "Characins" section. The common names we have used are Pristella Tetra [for X-Ray], Silvertip Tetra and Bloodfin Tetra. You can click on the shaded names to see that fish's profile. You will note some need more space to swim, some may fin nip, etc.

Byron.

Jayy 05-22-2011 01:19 PM

It's a 55 gallon tank and I plan to keep, 1 blue gourami, 3 platies, 3 marbled mollies, 6 peppered cories, and 7 of those three up top. Note that this tank is not setup at the moment. I plan to do so in the summer. I also have looked at the proflies aswell reading books and websites, but I still can't pick one.

redchigh 05-22-2011 01:35 PM

Whats the PH as well?

Platies like basic water, while cories like acidic... Better to choose your fish based on your local water than to try to adjust it later.

Jayy 05-22-2011 01:41 PM

I haven't tested, because the tank itself is not setup, but I have kept platies and cories together, so i guess it's inbetween.

Byron 05-22-2011 02:03 PM

It is the parameters of the source water, presumably tap water, that redchigh meant I suspect; most of us suggest it is better selecting fish that manage with the water coming out of the tap than selecting fish that need parameters altered. Can be done, but with varying degrees of success.

Assuming the water is medium hard and basic, which is what livebearers need (they do not fare well in soft or acidic water), Pristella would be fine. Silvertips too.

Your mention of a blue gourami would make me sugest you forget the bloodfins; all species in that genus tend to be nippy, and the flowing fins and feelers of a sedate gourami would be too much of a temptation.

redchigh 05-22-2011 02:06 PM

Yep, thats what I meant... Sorry.

If your water is basic, then expect it to stay basic.. If it's around 7.0 or less, expect it to drop a little over time. (which is ok and a sign of a healthy tank)

Jayy 05-22-2011 02:07 PM

Ok, what about diamond tetras?, and the other tetras? Would any of them make good tankmates for my plans?

Byron 05-22-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 680366)
Ok, what about diamond tetras?, and the other tetras? Would any of them make good tankmates for my plans?

Well, we are still guessing a bit here, not knowing the water parameters...but again assuming it is basic, many of the tetra would manage if they are commercially raised fish. Wild caught are far more exacting and require soft water on the acidic side. Most of the available tetra are in our profiles, under characins. Issues like specific water, compatibility with gourami-type fish, numbers in the group, etc are all included for each species.

Jayy 05-22-2011 02:24 PM

Ok, thanks. I'm thinking diamonds. I'll keep researching