Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   i think its 2 strong (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-think-its-2-strong-7096/)

PLECO 07-24-2007 12:39 PM

i think its 2 strong

i resently just uppgraded to a 10 gallon tank and the filter that came with it i think is to strong for my fish. i have a betta fish in it now but im buting more in it in the following days, any way the tank and filter are both regent and wen my fish goes to swim buy were the water falls into the tank he has a hard time for a few second theres a struggle iv looked on the filter and there isnt any way to change the speed is this something i should wory about.

also i have a question about my heter its a 50 watt heter its made buy aquarium systems inc anyway its set at 82f but my thermomiter says its at 60f cany u help me here 2 thanx sorry it so long

mHeinitz57 07-24-2007 12:47 PM

is the water level filled up all the way in your tank? If the water is "waterfalling" too much you will cause a stronger downward current and turbulance in that area for the fish. Try raising the water level a little and see if that helps. If you bought the tank and filter as a kit then the filter shouldnt be too strong. Bettas don't usually like a ton of current but a 10 gallon filter in a 10 gallon tank shouldnt be overpowering.

Sounds like your heater isn't kicking on at all. 50 watts is fine for a 10 gallon tank so you may just have a defective heater.

PLECO 07-24-2007 12:54 PM

i cant raise the water level any more because the hetera cant be submerged all the way in were the dial is thats were it has to stop i will give it a day on or go get the local fish store to see if its working but i think it is working the light is on and my betta seams to like hanging around it and so it must produce heat

JouteiMike 07-24-2007 01:32 PM

For the filter problem, try positioning plastic plants where the water comes out of the filter, they should obstruct some of the current.

For the heater...sounds like it's not working properly, and wow, that water is cooooold. Did you put cold water in the aquarium at first? That water is waaay below room temperature. I suggest you do some water changes and slowly bring the temperature up.

PLECO 07-24-2007 01:52 PM

no the water was semmy warm wen i put it in and i let it sitt for a day. the heater said that it had to be put in and ajust to the water for 15 min then plug it in so i juest i should tak it out along with hafe the water and put warm water in and then let the heater ajust to it again to see if it works. because some one said that if i can feel the warmth then that mean its 2 hot

PLECO 07-24-2007 02:03 PM

i think the heater is starting to work the temp has risin to 72f i had another question in my other threadi was asking wut fish should i put to getherif i can put those 2gether there all tropicle so would i feed then tropicle flackes. im thinking that my betta would probably take some getting use to eating flakes

also i think he is sick the top fin i think there is some wite on it i cant tell if its the lie or is it desise i cepps moving

assualt911 07-25-2007 05:03 AM

Well

It isn't always a bad thing, it can make your fish stronger. cause the more "current" there is in the tank the stronger your fish will get. but not to much of a current that the fish will be blown away.

mcdanielnc89 07-25-2007 01:23 PM

when I had my fish in my 5 gal. the current was really strong and it seemed to make my fish stronger as well. now i Have them in a 20 gal. and thier awesomely fast and strong.. haha..

PLECO 07-25-2007 03:57 PM

nvm the fine thing it was just the lite