Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   hiding guppy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/hiding-guppy-7095/)

serpaekeeper45 07-24-2007 11:44 AM

hiding guppy

hi ppl!!! iv got a question about a guppy i just got abouy 2 weeks ago.he has been hiding in the corner of the aquarium every day and only comes out when i turn off the light or feed them.all of the other guppies and fish in the tank arew doing fine,so im not sure what the prob is. is it likley that he is being picked on? the nitrates are a little high but not at toxic levels.
any suggestions?

Falina 07-24-2007 01:11 PM

What sex are all the other guppies?

serpaekeeper45 07-24-2007 01:21 PM

they are all males.

Falina 07-24-2007 01:35 PM

Male guppies can sometimes be prone to fin nipping although I can't see why they would pick out a single fish.

What other fish have you in the tank?

Is the one that is hiding younger/smaller than the rest?

serpaekeeper45 07-25-2007 10:29 AM

well unfortunately i found him dead this morning.he was one of the smallest guppies in the tank.iv got 2 corys in there along with 4 neons that are afraid of the guppies.he had stopped eating yesterday and just died :cry:

willow 07-25-2007 11:03 AM

hi
sorry you lost him.
would reccomend a water change after any death.

serpaekeeper45 07-25-2007 01:05 PM

ok ill do a water change.he dint seem to like it when the light was on so sometimes i would have to turn it off.should i have the light on all day or just for a couple of hours?

mcdanielnc89 07-25-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpaekeeper45
ok ill do a water change.he dint seem to like it when the light was on so sometimes i would have to turn it off.should i have the light on all day or just for a couple of hours?

If at all possible you should never leave the light off all day unless you want algae to grow(if you have otos) It is recommended to have the light on for at least 8 hours out of the day and any longer can produce algae as well...

serpaekeeper45 07-25-2007 02:53 PM

ok ill try that.all the other fish seem to be doing fine,so i thiink everything is ok.

Falina 07-25-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdanielnc89
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpaekeeper45

If at all possible you should never leave the light off all day unless you want algae to grow(if you have otos) It is recommended to have the light on for at least 8 hours out of the day and any longer can produce algae as well...

Not sure if this is just a wee typo or not, I suspect it is, but just to clarify -algae usually grows with the light on, not off.