Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Cat had 5 kittens, mysterious deaths, 1 left. HELP! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/cat-had-5-kittens-mysterious-deaths-70915/)

redchigh 05-20-2011 11:33 AM

Cat had 5 kittens, mysterious deaths, 1 left. HELP!

Alright, no one give me a guilt trip. I rescued a kitten from a sewer manhole several months ago. He was healthy, until his stomach got bloated.

Needless to say, the male cat named 'Gutter', turned out to be a pregnant female cat.

3-4 weeks ago, she gave birth to 5 kittens. One was stillborn.

A week later another mysteriously died. (I know, I have no money for a vet and there aren't any "no kill" humane shelters. I assumed since it was her first litter, a loss or two is normal. They got fleas, and I was unable to treat them due to their age.

Last week I gave them a bath with "Dawn" dish detergent. Supposed to be safe, and it kills fleas.

In the last two days, two more died leaving only one.

At first the mother cat was fed kitten food for the vitamins, but my cousin went to the store and got adult cat food. We have them back on kitten chow, but I would like to save this one even though I have no money for a vet. Fleas are under control now, but worms are a possibility.

Anyone have any suggestions? (Please no guilt trips about me not being able to afford cats. That decision is past.)

GwenInNM 05-20-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 678826)
Alright, no one give me a guilt trip. I rescued a kitten from a sewer manhole several months ago. He was healthy, until his stomach got bloated.

Needless to say, the male cat named 'Gutter', turned out to be a pregnant female cat.

3-4 weeks ago, she gave birth to 5 kittens. One was stillborn.

A week later another mysteriously died. (I know, I have no money for a vet and there aren't any "no kill" humane shelters. I assumed since it was her first litter, a loss or two is normal. They got fleas, and I was unable to treat them due to their age.

Last week I gave them a bath with "Dawn" dish detergent. Supposed to be safe, and it kills fleas.

In the last two days, two more died leaving only one.

At first the mother cat was fed kitten food for the vitamins, but my cousin went to the store and got adult cat food. We have them back on kitten chow, but I would like to save this one even though I have no money for a vet. Fleas are under control now, but worms are a possibility.

Anyone have any suggestions? (Please no guilt trips about me not being able to afford cats. That decision is past.)

Fleas can kill young animals, if the infestation is so bad that they become anemic. Please find a way to get the female spayed, there are too many animals in the world without homes. Ok, having said that. There are flea treatments for small animals. I rehab baby bunnies and we treat them with a spray that does not kill, so I know there are products that are safe for even the smallest of animals. There are a number of possibilities, but if you pull the skin up around the neck of the kitten, if it does not spring back, than the kitten is likely dehydrated. If they are eating food, give them canned food or add/soak dry kitten chow in water. Hydration is key. Also, they could be exposed to feline distemper that could kill, especially if the mother herself is a carrier. It would be hard to say. Best of luck. Hopefully you can get the last kitten somewhere where it won't be placed itself without being spayed/neuter.

Gwen

redchigh 05-21-2011 10:33 AM

Thanks for the help.. I want home and checked on the kitten, and it's nearly skin and bones. (it was the runt).

I can't tell whether it's anemic since I can't really grab it's skin. I got a bottle of kitten milk, and been supplementing the mother's milk with it.

Christople 05-21-2011 10:58 AM

good luck... if it survives you should name it cat... a catmaned cat

GwenInNM 05-21-2011 12:46 PM

It's strange that with a mother's milk it would be so thin. Both may have some type of illness. Are the gums pink or white? White gums would indicate anemia. KMR is a good replacement.

gwen

alidawn15 05-21-2011 04:29 PM

Whatever you do don't blame yourself. We'd had cats for 18 years and dealt with various problems and still had the same thing happen to a litter. We had to treat the kittens for ringworm as soon as they were weaned. After losing the runt at about 5 weeks we ended up having only one surviving kitten who's now 4 or 5 years old. There are things that vets can't even diagnose 100% as far as diseases there aren't tests for.

redchigh 05-28-2011 12:42 PM

Well, the other day when the rapture was suppose to happen at 6.. My last kitten got raptured.

Thanks for your help everyone. :cry:

konstargirl 06-04-2011 06:52 PM

OH I'm so sorry to here. Now get that cat spayed. ><

alidawn15 06-04-2011 07:37 PM

You can't really be down on someone for rescuing a cat that was already pregnant.