Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Uthanize or no? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/uthanize-no-70891/)

justinianobrenden 05-20-2011 12:05 AM

Uthanize or no?

Okay well my ten gallon now has ich, its had it for like 2 weeks and ive used the meds for a full two weeks and started using salt a week ago 1 tbl per 5 gallons and it is just getting worse should i jus put them outta their misery? and how someone told me freeze them. on the birghter side one of the guppies had birth so i got the only live baby and hav him seperate from the other fry jic he is sick to see if he will be okay and be able to surivive or he might jus die.

DarkMaster Y0da 05-20-2011 02:25 AM

You shouldn't have to uthanize just for ick what are you using to treat it meds wise. Also have you added new fish? Yes ick is a symtom of a problem but its not THE problem. Is the tanks tempature fluxing, are you doing water changes? I'll be honest been keeping fish for 21years and haven't had a case of ick in 17years when i got rid of my small tanks and got 55gal or bigger never had an issue the biggest cause of ick i have found is temp fluxs. Did you take out the activated charcoal?

excal88 05-20-2011 02:50 AM

Actually, ick takes some time to get rid of. Increasing the temp to 81 degrees or so should help speed up the life cycle of the ich parasite, which makes them more vulnerable to the ich medication. Which medication are you using by the way?

justinianobrenden 05-20-2011 08:46 AM

idk it was somethin at petsmart like ich away or sumin like tht. the water temp doesnt fluxuate i hav a heater n its always around 82 since i started treatment but when i wasnt it was 78 n im usin salt as well since their is only livebearers n im doin a 25% each day then meds n re add some salt tht i sucked up. and i normally do 25% every weekend and a 50% and gravel clean every month
Posted via Mobile Device

justinianobrenden 05-20-2011 08:51 AM

and the newest fish were a male platy and a female guppy like 4 days before i got ich the red wag got it first n only one tht doesnt hav it yet is my male guppy and the platys are startn to get fin rot and one like looks like it has a messed up spine now n they only breathe like once every 5-10 seconds for some n others breathe rapidly
Posted via Mobile Device

justinianobrenden 05-20-2011 08:52 AM

the med is rid ich
Posted via Mobile Device

SinCrisis 05-24-2011 01:00 PM

you should not have to euthanize fish because of ick, its a very common ailment and very treatable. Keep up the treatments, unless your fish are seriously failing, euthanasia should not be considered.

redchigh 05-24-2011 01:02 PM

FYI, when I was treating for ick, I has the salt levels up to 1 tbsp per GALLON. Just increase it gradually.

No, I do not think you should euthanise your fish.

bearwithfish 05-24-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 681973)
FYI, when I was treating for ick, I has the salt levels up to 1 tbsp per GALLON. Just increase it gradually.

No, I do not think you should euthanise your fish.

+1 no need at all... you can always use the heat method also and not use any meds... its safer IMO