Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Has anyone ever seen this type of damage before? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/has-anyone-ever-seen-type-damage-70867/)

Hmongol 05-19-2011 07:58 PM

Has anyone ever seen this type of damage before?

Hello, I have a 10 gallon with 4 male guppies and 4 lamp eye tetra along with 3 ghost shrimp and 1 chinese algae eater aka sucker loach.
My blue guppy became sick that night because I noticed he wasn't swimming around, I figured it was nothing. The next morning I awoke to find him with this huge bite mark which ripped half of his tail body off.

I posted this on my other website and many folks think the culprit is the chinese algae eater. They say that the sick guppy was probably not strong enough to avoid the Chinese Algae Eater and he got a good sucking out of him. I do believe it was the CAE because the tetras and shrimp would not have good enough teeth to do this.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/p...23/culprit.jpg

GwenInNM 05-19-2011 08:06 PM

All I can say is "Oouuch!" Hope you find out

gwen

Eshnon 05-19-2011 09:02 PM

That poor fish... I would remove him from the tank.. gently, and put him in a seperate home for a week.. Get some medicine for cuts, and gashes like that one. Medicine will obviously help heal him quicker. If you leave the gash like that.. the guppy will no question not be strong enough for a second attack from the CAE.. or eventually die from something getting in that wound..

Good luck! Intervene before he dies!

dfbiggs 05-20-2011 12:11 AM

Do SAEs take bites like that? Don't they just have a sucker mouth?! Would there be a chance he got caught in that fan in the background or sucked to a filter intake? I am surprised he is still alive.

DarkMaster Y0da 05-20-2011 02:29 AM

CAE all the way yea they normally only suck the slim off other fish but with a guppys size i have seen em take chunks. no way he got that from the fan

Teishokue 05-20-2011 02:32 AM

Shrimps could definitely be the culprit. Ghost shrimps could tear fishes easily. but knowing that its a sick or dying fish, its natural for a sucker or shrimp to attack it.

Hmongol 05-20-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 678570)
Do SAEs take bites like that? Don't they just have a sucker mouth?! Would there be a chance he got caught in that fan in the background or sucked to a filter intake? I am surprised he is still alive.

No that fan is just a propeller that barely moves on that submarine ornament bubbler.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teishokue
Shrimps could definitely be the culprit. Ghost shrimps could tear fishes easily. but knowing that its a sick or dying fish, its natural for a sucker or shrimp to attack it.

Yeah, I thought about them as well... but I've only read that many many people claim it only attacks dead or almost dead fish. I knew he might have been sick but I'm sure he would of been able to escape those tiny claws of the shrimp.

Teishokue 05-20-2011 03:26 AM

off topic: by the way are you hmong?

Romad 05-20-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eshnon (Post 678412)
That poor fish... I would remove him from the tank.. gently, and put him in a seperate home for a week.. Get some medicine for cuts, and gashes like that one. Medicine will obviously help heal him quicker. If you leave the gash like that.. the guppy will no question not be strong enough for a second attack from the CAE.. or eventually die from something getting in that wound..

Good luck! Intervene before he dies!

Agree that you should isolate and treat that poor guppy but I say for at least a month or more. Treat him with an antibacterial to avoid infection in that wound. Poor lil guy.

And get rid of that CAE. If your water params. are right for Otos, get some of those instead.

1077 05-20-2011 09:31 AM

My money is on the fan if it was running.
I have a fan /powerhead(KoraliaII) somewhat like the one pictured and have seen my tetra's swim directly into the front of this. If it weren't for the plastic fish gaurd over the front ,I have no doubt that some of the tetra's would be chopped to pieces.Juvenile bristlenose is always glued to the front of this device.
Agree with finding a new home for the chinese algae eater, they really present more problems as they mature than any benefit for community aquarium.