Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   swearing off catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/swearing-off-catfish-70789/)

Blaxicanlatino 05-18-2011 05:39 PM

swearing off catfish

So... i reaquascaped my 10 gallon which is heavily planted. the tank contained a single betta and then i purchased 5 dwarf cories. all went well for a month... then i bought 3 cherry barbs...all went well for another month... then i noticed one by one my dwarf cories started to die off...one by one...about a week apart. checked the water parameters and everything is awesome. no nitrite or ammonia. plants are over taking taking, cherries or constantly molesting each other while the betta attacks them when she gets bored. now im down to 2 dwarf cories and one of them is having some form of seizure on the bottom of the tank. what on earth is going on here?

Inga 05-18-2011 06:33 PM

My best guess is lack of space. A 10 gallon doesn't have much room, especially when filled with plants. Also, are you sure that food is getting down to the bottom of the tank when you feed the fish? Sometimes if the top or middle swimming fish are aggressive eaters, it doesn't leave much for the bottom feeding or slower fish.

Whenever my fish look odd or seem different, I do a large 70% water change. I am a huge believer in water changes keep the tank healthy. Even if nothing is showing up, it sure isn't going to hurt. Do you use a good water conditioner, like PRIME?

Blaxicanlatino 05-18-2011 06:40 PM

oh yes. Ive been fish keeping for several years now. I do about 30% water change every week. and i use Prime. ive tried albino cories and otos a few years ago in this tank too... failed... however i excel with inverts though :D

as far as the food, i watch them eat flakes and tubifex worms. its funny how they just inhale the food lol.

Blaxicanlatino 05-18-2011 07:32 PM

kinda look like its diong ab workouts

Byron 05-19-2011 10:43 AM

A couple of things pop out at me here.

First on the corys; if ever I have an issue in one of my tanks related to the water or environment, it is without any question always the corys that first show signs of stress and alert me to it. And all three "dwarf" species [Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus and C. hastatus] are more highly sensitive to everything. I have had on/off luck with all three over 20 years. Can you provide some more data on this tank? Water hardness and pH; nitrate level; substrate; and how long was it running before the corys were added. And which species are they?

Second issue, in my view a 10g is not sufficient space for any barb species, although cherry barb are the only ones that might manage. But they need a larger group; kept in less than 5 or 6 they frequently show aggression which is nothing more than a sign of high stress. They are only 3 in number, plus they have a "threat" in with them, which even if only now and then is going to have a significant impact on their stress level, and that weakens the immune system. The Cory problem could be linked to this issue. Fish send out chemical signals, pheromones, and other fish read them. With no escape, this can cause health issues leading to death. Not saying it is, just one possibility.

I never recommend Betta as community fish, and your situation is why. Betta on their own, or maybe with substrate fish (sometimes this works, but sometimes not). But no other mid-water fish.

Let me know the data mentioned above and I may have something to suggest.

Byron.

Blaxicanlatino 05-28-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 678050)
A couple of things pop out at me here.

First on the corys; if ever I have an issue in one of my tanks related to the water or environment, it is without any question always the corys that first show signs of stress and alert me to it. And all three "dwarf" species [Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus and C. hastatus] are more highly sensitive to everything. I have had on/off luck with all three over 20 years. Can you provide some more data on this tank? Water hardness and pH; nitrate level; substrate; and how long was it running before the corys were added. And which species are they?

Second issue, in my view a 10g is not sufficient space for any barb species, although cherry barb are the only ones that might manage. But they need a larger group; kept in less than 5 or 6 they frequently show aggression which is nothing more than a sign of high stress. They are only 3 in number, plus they have a "threat" in with them, which even if only now and then is going to have a significant impact on their stress level, and that weakens the immune system. The Cory problem could be linked to this issue. Fish send out chemical signals, pheromones, and other fish read them. With no escape, this can cause health issues leading to death. Not saying it is, just one possibility.

I never recommend Betta as community fish, and your situation is why. Betta on their own, or maybe with substrate fish (sometimes this works, but sometimes not). But no other mid-water fish.

Let me know the data mentioned above and I may have something to suggest.

Byron.

sorry i never got an alert for this thread X( well lets see the ph is 7.4. no ammonia or nitrite. hardly any nitrate (maybe 3-5 max) um....... this tank has been runnin nicely for several years now. the two cories are running strong and contanly active and show no sign of falling. the other fish are doing excellent too. I bought a dwarf frog 2 weaks ago and shes awesome! (now a fan of frogs now). but all in all, everything is perfect sofar