Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Hamsters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/hamsters-70716/)

alysalouise 05-17-2011 07:37 PM

Hamsters

I think their much easier to breed than fish....
I ended up with about 32 dwarf hamsters and 12 teddy bear hamsters once, haha, fun stuff......

bettababy 05-21-2011 02:59 PM

That depends on the species of fish you're referring to. I have bred hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, etc. over the yrs, but livebearing fish and some of my cichlids were just as easy if not easier than the hamsters because the fish needed less "work".

alysalouise 06-17-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 679647)
That depends on the species of fish you're referring to. I have bred hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, etc. over the yrs, but livebearing fish and some of my cichlids were just as easy if not easier than the hamsters because the fish needed less "work".

I cant even get mollies to breed

bettababy 06-17-2011 01:49 AM

tell me about your mollies and their tank, I can probably help... can you post a pic of their tank?

alysalouise 06-17-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 703314)
tell me about your mollies and their tank, I can probably help... can you post a pic of their tank?

Well im about to do a fish change. in my signature you can see the tank set up, i dont have recent photos

but this is how im switching the 2 tanks

14 gallon
6 danios
5 platies
1 guppy
2 baby black mollies, and possibly 1 baby guppy

29 gallon
1 fathead minnow
3 cherry barbs
6 black skirted tetra
2 redeyed tetra
3 mollies (2 female white and black, 1 black male)
1 baby guppy

bettababy 06-17-2011 01:58 AM

With the cherry barbs and tetras in there, I would suspect the mollies to breed just fine if the male is fertile, but I would never expect to see fry unless the tank is almost solid decor, lol. Red eyes and cherry barbs are quick to eat fry and will even stalk the female as she's giving birth. Is it possible the mollies are breeding but you're just not getting any fry to survive due to tank mates and lack of dense plants/decor?

alysalouise 06-17-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 703321)
With the cherry barbs and tetras in there, I would suspect the mollies to breed just fine if the male is fertile, but I would never expect to see fry unless the tank is almost solid decor, lol. Red eyes and cherry barbs are quick to eat fry and will even stalk the female as she's giving birth. Is it possible the mollies are breeding but you're just not getting any fry to survive due to tank mates and lack of dense plants/decor?

well right now the tank is strickly livebreeders, and i just pulled out what i think to be a week old guppy fry, not of my fish have really bother any of the fry i have ever put in there, i have put 32 swordtail fry in there but i had an ich outbreak that killed all 32 and 2 other platy fry, so the only fry in that tank right now is a 3 month old platy fry, and a 1 month old guppy fry