Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Getting a free 20 gallon... Anyone wanna help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/getting-free-20-gallon-anyone-wanna-70670/)

redchigh 05-17-2011 09:58 AM

Getting a free 20 gallon... Anyone wanna help?

I'm thinking, sand substrate, and well-planted (of course!)

I'll move my black neons and cories to that tank. (and away from the vicious panda tetras. They're going in their own tank!)

Probably add a few more of both, to bring the total up to 5-6 green cory, 8 black neons, and add a pair of blue rams.

Not sure what light fixture comes with the tank, but I might just stick with low-light plants.. Add a lot of driftwood and moss, with some E. Blehirae compacta, klienar prinz, and hardy stem plants like bacopa monnerei...

Any ideas/suggestions/improvements?

leogtr 05-17-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 676345)
I'm thinking, sand substrate, and well-planted (of course!)

I'll move my black neons and cories to that tank. (and away from the vicious panda tetras. They're going in their own tank!)

Probably add a few more of both, to bring the total up to 5-6 green cory, 8 black neons, and add a pair of blue rams.

Not sure what light fixture comes with the tank, but I might just stick with low-light plants.. Add a lot of driftwood and moss, with some E. Blehirae compacta, klienar prinz, and hardy stem plants like bacopa monnerei...

Any ideas/suggestions/improvements?

you probably have seen these but if not I just wanted to show you because even if they look really fancy you might be able to gather ideas and things like that. I hope you like:)

redchigh 05-17-2011 11:28 AM

I Love rotala wallichi.. I wish I could get it to grow like in The Green Way (first video)

I'll come back and look at those when I have more time. thanks.

Byron 05-17-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

I have been meaning to ask you how the Aphyocharax paraguayensis were getting along; I did warn you about them.;-)

Back then I realized the species was not in our profile, so I added it. I knew from first hand experience (twice, many years apart) what they were like, but in doing my research for the profile you wouldn't believe how many sites I came across with descriptions of total tank destruction by a group of these small fish. A pretty little fish but one that should have its own species tank.

These traits are shared by all species in the genus, even the common Bloodfin can frequently be quite nippy.

redchigh 05-17-2011 11:56 AM

Yep, well (perhaps luckily?) I didn't make the gravel cap deep enough, and so soil leaked into the water turning it extremely murky.

I can't even see the fish most of the time, but amazingly some of the plants are still alive. (crypts, dwarf sag, and one pitiful little stem of Potamogeton Gayi).

I see the fish sometimes, but I never see the two species at the same time.. I assume they avoid each other.
To be honest, I don't even know how many fish I have in that tank.

(I tried everything- more filtration, filter floss in the filter, felt, water polishers, potassium pomegranate at half dose, and even turning the filter off for several weeks- and gave up. Fish are healthy, some plants are surviving.. Probably looks more like their native habitat than our crystal-clear setups anyways.)

Anything wrong with black neon tetras, rams, and cories together?