Tropical Fish Keeping banner

My First Fish Tank

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Lupin 
#1 ·
Hi i'm starting my first freshwater fish tank and would like some advice :D

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
-20L (-.-?)
2. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or saltwater?
-Freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been setup
-It isn't
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
-
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
-No
6. What make/model filter are you using?
-marineland penguin 200 bio-wheel power filter that filters 200 gallons per hr for up to 50 gallon aquariums. Rite Size C cartridge.
7. Are you using a CO2 unit?
-What's that?
8. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
-No
9. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
-Theres no water yet.
10.How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
-I don't have any.
11.Is your aquarium light incandescent or fluorescent and how often is it kept on?
-I haven't bought one yet.
12.What specific concerns bring you in with a water sample at this time?
-
My tank is 30 Length x 12 Width x 12 Height and 20L <-(i don't know what that is)

I don't know what kind of heater to get or what else to get.

I plan on getting some of these kind of fish:
Sharks
Tetras
Rasbora
Rainbow Fish
Platies
Mollies
Guppies
Gouramis
Danios
Barbs
Angelfish

How many fish could i fit in my tank and would any of these fish fight?
-i don't think i would be getting most of these but i will get 10 neon tetras

Would driftwood affect any of these?
Do all those fish eat the same food?
Did i get too big of a filter? (The nozzle thingy touches the glass bottom >.>)
Should i use two filter cartridges?
Do i use sand or gravel?
What kind of sand/gravel?
Do i need bubbles?
Do i have to add any nutrients or something?

Sorry for so many questions
i just don't want any new fishys to die :[
Thanks you fishforum

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Don't worry about the questions at all. I was once where you are at now and so has everyone else. Everyone in here is pretty nice and we'll all help you.

First of all, with your lighting, if your not going to have LIVE plants, it really won't matter as long as it will correctly fit the tank itself. Second, the filter will be moved to the back of the tank, instead of the side.

The heater should be about 3 watts per gallon roughly. 1 heater will suffice for your tank. Don't get one too big, or it will change the water temp too fast for your fish.

One thing about the fish, either one or two bigger fish, or lost of smaller fish. Make sure you save room for a pleco (algae eaters/ sucker fish) and 1 or 2 cories to eat the food left over on the bottom and stir up the gravel.

You can get 15 neon tetra easily if you want. If you like the Neons, try the cardinal tetras. I favor them just a bit more.

Otherwise I wouldn't suggest many fish that get more than 4 inches long. I like the set up with 6-8 and a red tailed shark. The fins match pretty will and they will play around.

You could have a small piece of driftwood for the pleco since they have basically a vegetarian diet and make sure to get them algae discs (5 bucks for a few months worth) Feed once a day or two just before bed time.

The other fish will eat flake food, but also give them frozen bloodworms and chopped up earth worms from time to time. They need a variaty (too early to spell) of food also.

You should be able to shorten your filter by taking off the extention. The filter isn't too big. It filters 2.5x the size of the tank. My 55 gallon has has enough filtration for a 220 tank.

Sand and gravel is your choice. I would use gravel and go with a darker/natural color. The brighter your gravel is, takes away from the fishes colors.

I don't use bubbles in my tank, but I do have the water line low enough that the filters make a little of there own when coming out of the cartridge.

You will need to get atleast some AquaSafe tap water treatment and just read the directions.

I do suggest you fill your tank and let it run completely, minus the fishes for about 2 days, add about 6 Neon tetras and make sure they are okay for a few days and then add the algae eater and cory and if everything is still okay add the rest of the fish you wish.

You know about water changes, right? Add water once a week or so that has evaporated and once a month, change the carbon media in the filter and vacuum the gravel and do a 10% water change.

#3 ·
I can't tell if you can shorten the intake in of your filter. If you can't, you'll need to get one that is roughly two to three inches shorter, once you add gravel, it should cover the bottom of the tank two inches across. But Marineland is a good company for filters. My canister filter is their Magnum 350.

A 30" light/hood set up should run about 30 to 50 bucks.

#4 ·
a school of tetras would look nice in that size a tank- or rasboras. i LOVE my rasboras i have a small school or harlequinn and black harlequinn rasboras and they look awesome when they all swim together!

also, some of the fish you listed are fond of a little aquarium salt in the tank, and some do not tolerate salt well, make sure the fish you choose live in the same conditions.

read up on the nitrogen cycle before you get started- its mighty important to know how things work in your tank. also, put a water test kit on your shopping list. i reccomend one for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. the liquid tests tube ones are cheaper and much more accurate, stay away from "test strips".

welcome to the forum!

#5 ·
Markkkkk said:
I plan on getting some of these kind of fish:
Sharks
Tetras
Rasbora
Rainbow Fish
Platies
Mollies
Guppies
Gouramis
Danios
Barbs
Angelfish
Welcome to Fishforum.com, Mark.:wave:

Cross out angelfish and rainbow shark from the list. Angelfish need a minimum height of 18 inches to stretch their dorsal and ventral fins. Rainbow sharks are rather aggressive and are not recommended in a community tank.

What gouramis are you going to get? Honey gouramis are nice choices. As for the rainbowfish, threadfins(Iriatherina werneri) are great but do avoid fin nippers in this case. Dwarf neon rainbows(Melanotaenia praecox) are also great and I would suggest keeping them by themselves if you do plan to keep them. They are quite prolific dropping several eggs on daily basis.

How many fish could i fit in my tank and would any of these fish fight?
-i don't think i would be getting most of these but i will get 10 neon tetras
It wil depend on the fish you get. Please narrow the list to the possible fish you can get.
Would driftwood affect any of these?
Nope with the exception of mollies.
Do all those fish eat the same food?
Yes but the size of their mouths must also be given consideration.
Do i use sand or gravel?
What kind of sand/gravel?
Do i need bubbles?
The choice is yours.;)
Do i have to add any nutrients or something?
Varying the food diet is the best way to let them obtain different vitamins they need.
Sorry for so many questions
i just don't want any new fishys to die :[
We would prefer that than a few details.;) Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

#6 ·
Thank you all so much :D
i bought the rest of the tank supplies today and set it up.
its filtering with no fish as i type lol
As it is filtering ill be trying to decide what fish im going to get and its come to
Tetras
Algae Eaters
Cories
I have no idea what other fish to put but id like 1 or 2 more fish type >.>

Heres some update photos

I never did find a fluorescent light and hood, no wonder its so dark.
Oh and lol i find it sad i spent all my money on the tank and have no money left for fish.
Ill just ask my parents for money :]

#8 ·
Cycle the tank first before you add any fish. I would recommend buying API liquid test kit for accurate results. Check your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH regularly. You want zero ammonia and nitrites with nitrates not higher than 40 ppm in the end. Details of cycling are available among the sticky threads in this section.
What algae eaters are you planning to get? Otos are the only ones I'd recommend due to their small size. Add them last as they are sensitive to water conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.