Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Culturing Live Plants from my lake (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/culturing-live-plants-my-lake-70502/)

emkbass 05-15-2011 09:12 AM

Culturing Live Plants from my lake

I had the great idea this weekend that I would walk down to my lake and remove a couple of lily pads and some plants and try do culture them in an aquarium in the house to see if I could get them to grow.
I have a DIY 15 gallon aquarium (16x16x12). with 130 watts of PC lighting on it.
So..I dug down deep and got 3 lilly pads. was able to remove the bulb and quite a bit of the root. same with the other plants, was able to get most all the roots.
I put these in the aquarium with fresh water and aquarium gravel. I used RODI water and added some Fourish to the tank. Temp is right at 78 degrees and a little power head to keep things moving.

I have no idea if this will work.
Any one have any luck doing this??

Thanks

emkbass 05-15-2011 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ia a picture.

Attachment 28557

Christople 05-15-2011 10:29 AM

that tank has potential... You should do a nature aquarium. The only prob I could see is the temp change and pH

zof 05-15-2011 06:13 PM

I don't think you would need to use RODI water unless the water you get is really bad. Anytime you pull something out of the wild you might want to make sure it doesn't carry any parasites, not sure how to do this with plants but I would probably use chlorinated tap water thats untreated to get the chlorine to help kill whats ever on there, pretty sure it wont harm the plants but someone else with more knowledge might want to chime in and confirm.

redchigh 05-15-2011 06:38 PM

Lilies will need root fertilisation. I'd reset it with a soil substrate, as per my signature.
(Instead of layer of soil then gravel, use half the amount of soil, mix with equal amounts of gravel, then add gravel on top.)

Also, I'd turn off the heater. Those lillies are likely cold-water plants.

DKRST 05-15-2011 07:00 PM

I think it's a great idea, with a caveat - disease/parasite transmission.
I'm still fighting off a parasite that is vectored by copepods (tiny critters found in freshwater). There are a variety of unwanted parasites and other nasties that are potential hitch-hikers on any plant, even plants from a LFS or a pond. If you practice quarantine procedures on your fish, it's also a good idea to use it on plants before introducing them to a stocked tank.

Isolation from a fish host will break many parasite life-cycles.

emkbass 05-15-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 674872)
I think it's a great idea, with a caveat - disease/parasite transmission.
I'm still fighting off a parasite that is vectored by copepods (tiny critters found in freshwater). There are a variety of unwanted parasites and other nasties that are potential hitch-hikers on any plant, even plants from a LFS or a pond. If you practice quarantine procedures on your fish, it's also a good idea to use it on plants before introducing them to a stocked tank.

Isolation from a fish host will break many parasite life-cycles.

Yea, I agree. No fish in this tank, just plants. I just want to see If I can grow them. If successful then I might think about incorporating them into the other tanks.
This is an educational build. :-D

emkbass 05-15-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 674852)
Lilies will need root fertilisation. I'd reset it with a soil substrate, as per my signature.
(Instead of layer of soil then gravel, use half the amount of soil, mix with equal amounts of gravel, then add gravel on top.)

Also, I'd turn off the heater. Those lillies are likely cold-water plants.

What soil would you recommend? I don't want to bring the lake bottom into the house (whoo wee, smells very much bad! LOL)