Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   New Cory Catfish Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/new-cory-catfish-question-70444/)

bettaowner101 05-14-2011 05:11 PM

New Cory Catfish Question

Hello, without googling anything about Catfish and listening to my parent's that they clean my tank, I bought 1 Green Cory catfish for my 10 gallon tank. The person at PetCo told me that I should get 1 Green Cory Catfish. Well, after searching on the Internet, they do not clean algea and they need to be in a group of 3 or more. The thing is, I am pretty much stocked as is. I have 1 marble molly, 3 guppies, and 1 green cory cat fish. Also, last night when I fead my fish, I noticed my green cory catfish was going around the bottom of the tank looking for scraps. I am just worried if he actually got anything to eat. Should I worry about that issue? Also, yesterday he was swimming all over the tank like crazy and today he's been hiding under the cave all day long.

Plumkin 05-15-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettaowner101 (Post 673958)
Hello, without googling anything about Catfish and listening to my parent's that they clean my tank, I bought 1 Green Cory catfish for my 10 gallon tank. The person at PetCo told me that I should get 1 Green Cory Catfish. Well, after searching on the Internet, they do not clean algea and they need to be in a group of 3 or more. The thing is, I am pretty much stocked as is. I have 1 marble molly, 3 guppies, and 1 green cory cat fish. Also, last night when I fead my fish, I noticed my green cory catfish was going around the bottom of the tank looking for scraps. I am just worried if he actually got anything to eat. Should I worry about that issue? Also, yesterday he was swimming all over the tank like crazy and today he's been hiding under the cave all day long.

Yes they are bottom feeders so if you cant get the pellets for them crush some food up and put it on the bottom of the tank or use a turkey baster and shoot it down to the cory , if u got 3 guppys 1 marble molly and 1 cory you should have room for 2 more corys they like to be in groups they do best in groups i recommend you get him some friends and some of the food.

Good luck!

Teishokue 05-15-2011 04:11 AM

even if you are at its maximum limit, id still pair the cories in a group. always keep in mind that bottom suckers tend to be more cleaner (as of food not eaten) than those who swim above.

excal88 05-15-2011 05:32 AM

Well, cory cats' natural behavior is always shifting around looking for food, so its hard to say. The way to make sure he's getting food is to feed and observe; if he's not getting to any of the food and is left with bits and pieces, then you have your answer. Sinking pellets will help a lot, as it'll guarantee some food getting down for the cory.

Also, even though you're overstocked, getting a minimum group of 3 corys is extremely recommended, as they are a schooling fish, so with just 1, it'll become more stressed and skittish, and thus more prone to disease and illness. All and all, good luck with your cory! They really are nice peaceful fish, as I have 8 right now and its fun watching them swim around and play with each other. Have fun with your cory cat!

bettaowner101 05-15-2011 10:41 AM

OK, But if I get 2 more, I will be extremely overstocked, don't you think? Then that will mess up my water parameters and cause illnesses.. And I still don't know if he is getting any food because he scavenges around the bottom of the tank the most when I feed my fish and I DO see some flakes go to the bottom of the tank. None of my fish are bullying him or picking at him which is a good sign.

bettaowner101 05-15-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumkin (Post 674330)
Yes they are bottom feeders so if you cant get the pellets for them crush some food up and put it on the bottom of the tank or use a turkey baster and shoot it down to the cory , if u got 3 guppys 1 marble molly and 1 cory you should have room for 2 more corys they like to be in groups they do best in groups i recommend you get him some friends and some of the food.

Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teishokue (Post 674347)
even if you are at its maximum limit, id still pair the cories in a group. always keep in mind that bottom suckers tend to be more cleaner (as of food not eaten) than those who swim above.

OK, But if I get 2 more, I will be extremely overstocked, don't you think? Then that will mess up my water parameters and cause illnesses.. And I still don't know if he is getting any food because he scavenges around the bottom of the tank the most when I feed my fish and I DO see some flakes go to the bottom of the tank. None of my fish are bullying him or picking at him which is a good sign.

Teishokue 05-17-2011 03:52 AM

over stock doesnt mean your tank will die, it means you will probably have to check the water parameters more and perform your maint accordingly. ^^ go with the extra 2. will help your cory feel better

excal88 05-17-2011 05:33 PM

I agree with Teishokue; rather than doing a water change once a week, you'll be doing it 2-3 times a week, and rather than checking parameters 1-2 times a week, it'll be 2-3 times a week. Not that bad, just some extra work.

Byron 05-17-2011 08:33 PM

Two issues here.

First, absolutely acquire two more corys if you intend to keep the one you have. They are very social fish, and a minimum of 3 is only going to make them happy and thus healthier. You are not overstocked. But perform a weekly (every week) partial water change of 30% of the tank volume. If yo have live plants, all the better.

Second, you must provide suitable food for bottom fish. You cannot expect them to manage on scraps that fall down. It will not be sufficient nourishment (in more ways than just amount of food) and the corys will be stressed and susceptible to disease and poor health--something that would otherwise not occur if they are properly fed. There are many sinking foods available, you should select at least 3 good ones. Just as you should have at least 3 good quality flake/pellet foods for upper fish. Good brands are Omega One and Hikari in particular. Both make sinking pellets/tablets/wafers of various types. One of the 3 should be vegetable-based as this is good for the fish's digestive tract just as rough veggies are for us. The Omega One shrimp pellets are usually well-liked by corys. Mine also go bananas when they are given Nutrafin's basic sinking tablets. And Hikari make a sinking wafer and an algae wafer (that's the veggie thing). Frozen bloodworms once or twice a week would be a nice treat for all the fish including corys.

As for the racing around the tank, this is normal for corys introduced to a new environment. However, it is still a sign of stress, and having 3 would make it much easier for them to settle down.

Byron.

brownmane 05-25-2011 11:00 PM

Byron's advice is good. The cory would be much happier with a couple of others. They are fun to watch. Some plants also help the cories to feel more secure.

Cories will eat some algae, but they do need their own food. As I'm learning from others at TFK, cories are fish that like to come out more around evening/twilight and feed.

Scrubbing the sides of the tank before doing the water change should keep the algae under control as some of it would be siphoned off.