Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Flourish needed for Low light plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/flourish-needed-low-light-plants-70441/)

Big Fate 05-14-2011 03:10 PM

Flourish needed for Low light plants?

Question for you plant people...

I picked up a few low light plants last week (Wisteria, Hornwort, Anacharis, Java moss) and 2 of them died and got brown quick which caught me by surprise. I always thought low light plants didn't need much of anything to grow.

I house them in a 10 gallon tank with a 15 watt light fixture, so thats basically 1.5 wpg. That should be sufficient right?

So i'm either considering upping the light fixture or go with the Flourish product made by Seachem. Now if I do go with this product would I be able to just dose Flourish? Or would I need Flourish Trace elements and Flourish excell?

Thanks

Byron 05-14-2011 03:34 PM

I would not consider Wisteria low light; it needs moderate to bright. Anacharis is probably similar, some sources say "low" and other "bright" so take your pick. Hornwort tends to fall apart for many regardless of conditions. Java Moss will thrive in any light once it is established, but it does not appreciate changes.

But your light may be perfectly adequate, and i can easily assist here once I know whether you have a fluorescent (tube) or incandescent (screw-in) fixture.

Now to the nutrients. Depending upon the plants and the fish and your source water's hardness, all nutrients can occur from fish food and water changes. If supplementation is necessary, then Flourish Comprehensive Supplement will probably be sufficient.

Excel is a carbon supplement and i do not recommend it; there is usually sufficient CO2 from fish and bacteria to enable most plants to grow, and adding carbon via Excel is raising the balance of light and the other nutrients. Trace Elements are sometimes beneficial, again depending what is in your tap water and the fish food. I only use Flourish Comprehensive, and have for 3 years, and this with my very soft mineral-less water.

Byron.

Big Fate 05-14-2011 03:43 PM

Sorry that would help right...

I have:

15W T8 Aqua-Glo Flourecent Lamp as seen here:
AQUARIUM FLUORESCENT FISH TANK BULB AQUA-GLO T8 15W 18" | eBay

Fish:

2 Dwarf Gouarmi
2 Fancy Guppys
6 Neon Tetras
2 African dwarf Frogs

Water is fairly hard... I always seem to hit the 300 mark on the test strips
Fish food I use is the standard Tropical flakes and Blood Worms

redchigh 05-14-2011 04:18 PM

Flourish comprehensive should be fine.

Big Fate 05-14-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 673961)
Flourish comprehensive should be fine.

Thanks, thats probably what i'ma go with.

Also @ Bryon, I use Sand as the substrate at about 1 1/2 inch - 2 inch

Byron 05-14-2011 05:42 PM

Agree the Flourish Comprehensive is sufficient with hard-ish water.

That light I would replace. A Life-Glo (same size) would give you about twice the intensity. I have an Aqua-Glo (48-inch) and after once trying it I put it back in the box. You may be used to the purplish hue A-G gives, and L-G is comparable to the sun at midday so the fish and plant colours will be true. But the important thing is the spectrum which is ideal, and it is twice the intensity of what you have. So that will solve your light issues.

Big Fate 05-14-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 674025)
Agree the Flourish Comprehensive is sufficient with hard-ish water.

That light I would replace. A Life-Glo (same size) would give you about twice the intensity. I have an Aqua-Glo (48-inch) and after once trying it I put it back in the box. You may be used to the purplish hue A-G gives, and L-G is comparable to the sun at midday so the fish and plant colours will be true. But the important thing is the spectrum which is ideal, and it is twice the intensity of what you have. So that will solve your light issues.

So Flourish Comp all I need? As far as dosing goes?

Yea, I had a feeling I would need a new light. Would the one I have work with low light plants? Or should I just save myself the headache and go with the Life-Glo?

Also what about Flora-Glo? My LFS said even with the life-glo it wasn't gonna cut it, that I would need a power compact? Sounds like he just trying to make a quick buck tho...

Byron 05-14-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fate (Post 674036)
So Flourish Comp all I need? As far as dosing goes?

Yea, I had a feeling I would need a new light. Would the one I have work with low light plants? Or should I just save myself the headache and go with the Life-Glo?

Also what about Flora-Glo? My LFS said even with the life-glo it wasn't gonna cut it, that I would need a power compact? Sounds like he just trying to make a quick buck tho...

I find both Aqua and Flora-Glo tubes too weak. While they are high in the red and blue, which technically should be good for plants, the weaker intensity is detrimental. True "low light" plants are pretty limiting. But once you get to low and moderate light plants, you've a lot more choice; the majority of aquarium plants will do well under tri-phosphor tubes like the Life-Glo.

You can see what the Life-Glo looks like in the photos of my tanks under "Aquariums" below my name on the left. On single-tube tanks, it is the only tjube I will use; on dual-tube tanks I have one Life-Glo and one cooler tube. I consider the plants' response (= growth) good.

And yes on the Flourish. It is the only liquid fertilizer I know of that has all nutrients [except oxygen, carbon and hydrogen which all naturally occur in the aquarium]. With a good light, you will have no problems with the mentioned plants, and be able to expand with some swords and floating plants.

Big Fate 05-15-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 674087)
I find both Aqua and Flora-Glo tubes too weak. While they are high in the red and blue, which technically should be good for plants, the weaker intensity is detrimental. True "low light" plants are pretty limiting. But once you get to low and moderate light plants, you've a lot more choice; the majority of aquarium plants will do well under tri-phosphor tubes like the Life-Glo.

You can see what the Life-Glo looks like in the photos of my tanks under "Aquariums" below my name on the left. On single-tube tanks, it is the only tjube I will use; on dual-tube tanks I have one Life-Glo and one cooler tube. I consider the plants' response (= growth) good.

And yes on the Flourish. It is the only liquid fertilizer I know of that has all nutrients [except oxygen, carbon and hydrogen which all naturally occur in the aquarium]. With a good light, you will have no problems with the mentioned plants, and be able to expand with some swords and floating plants.

Thanks your advice is really helpful.

Only question I feel didn't really get addressed here is if I would be able to get away with low- mid light plants with Life-glo or if I actually would need to invest into a power compact?

Although you did say majority of the plants will do good under the Life-glo did you mean the standard 15 watt one like I have for the aqua-glo?

Byron 05-15-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fate (Post 674710)
Thanks your advice is really helpful.

Only question I feel didn't really get addressed here is if I would be able to get away with low- mid light plants with Life-glo or if I actually would need to invest into a power compact?

Although you did say majority of the plants will do good under the Life-glo did you mean the standard 15 watt one like I have for the aqua-glo?

Yes, to both questions. A Life-Glo tube over your 10g will be sufficient for most plants.