Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   fine Gravel (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fine-gravel-70415/)

Crocer 05-14-2011 10:40 AM

fine Gravel

1 Attachment(s)
Is kind of Gravel Sutible for gold fish, dragon gobies , or any fish that likes to sift through substrate? I originally got it after finding my pleco's dying from sucking up sand when I had a sandy bottom. I do know that pleco's and cory's do well the this fine stuff though.
Thanks in advanced for any input.

Byron 05-14-2011 10:47 AM

I can't tell from your photo as I can't feel the gravel.;-) From the appearance, it might be rough. If you have substrate-sifting fish, I would go with a natural aquarium gravel, the smallest grain size (1-2 mm). White substrates are not usually good anyway, it is "bright" and fish feel uneasy over a light substrate as it is un-natural. Also, that may be calcareous, raising hardness and pH which is not always good.

What species of pleco was it? Sand shuld not be a problem, as substrate fish naturally sift the sand through their gills in search of food. It might have been some other issue that killed the pleco.

Byron.

redchigh 05-14-2011 11:12 AM

Looks like aragonite or beach sand. Might raise ph.

Where did you get it?

Crocer 05-14-2011 12:54 PM

I bought it from pet smart. as far as the pleco's I had a bushy nose, and it died, then I tried a common and it passed away a little while later. before sansd I used gravel, with pleco's and no problem. started using this stuff with plecos and they were fine, gave one to my uncle, the other died as I think it may have lacked something in its nutrients. I don't have any fish now, but just fixed up a newly aquired 44.9 gallon tank, and have been playing around with Idea's as to what fish to keep in it. Mollies are definatley going in, but not sure if I want to go brackish or fresh. Most mollies don't need salt, however I am leaning towards brackish as I find it more unique.

Byron 05-14-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crocer (Post 673801)
I bought it from pet smart. as far as the pleco's I had a bushy nose, and it died, then I tried a common and it passed away a little while later. before sansd I used gravel, with pleco's and no problem. started using this stuff with plecos and they were fine, gave one to my uncle, the other died as I think it may have lacked something in its nutrients. I don't have any fish now, but just fixed up a newly aquired 44.9 gallon tank, and have been playing around with Idea's as to what fish to keep in it. Mollies are definatley going in, but not sure if I want to go brackish or fresh. Most mollies don't need salt, however I am leaning towards brackish as I find it more unique.

If that is calcareous, it will be fine for livebearers who all need hard water.

redchigh 05-14-2011 03:18 PM

Well be careful, not all mollies are actually brackish as far as I know...

I think sailfin mollies are true brackish, while black mollies are simply tolerable of salt...

Make sure you find out what they're being kept in at the pet store, and raise their saline gradually...

Crocer 05-14-2011 06:56 PM

thanks, and that is the plan, as far as I know most pet stores keep there's in fresh, with only the odd store I see them actually adding salt with most of their live bearer's. But if I do go brackish, I will make sure what the saline levels are with the other fish. I definatly want black sail fins, as well as natural coloured mollies. There are actually 2 types of sail fin mollies, one more found in Brackish, and one more found in fresh.