Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   I know I just got him, but does this sound like Dropsy? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/i-know-i-just-got-him-7040/)

Zakura 07-13-2007 02:15 PM

I know I just got him, but does this sound like Dropsy?

I'm really sad...my new Betta Amethyst seems like he has dropsy, from what I've read in other threads on this site.

He's been sitting on the bottom, breathing rapidly, going up to the surface only every once and a while, then quickly going back down to where he was. His scales are sort of sticking out...I think you call it pinecone-ing or something.

My mom gave me some food that's supposed to help flush out intestinal parasites...but I'm not sure it'll work. I think I might have waited too long...he's been acting this way since yesterday.

I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do to help him? Thanks you guys, you've all helped me so much since I've joined this site.

fish_4_all 07-13-2007 02:38 PM

It could be dropsy but it could also be signs of acclimation problems. How long did you acclimate your betta before putting it in the new tank?

Zakura 07-13-2007 03:50 PM

I had him floating in his bag for around twenty minutes...twice I put about a third of a cup-ish of water from my tank into his bag. Then I poured him in, because my LFS takes great care of his fish and I didn't think that the water would be contaminated. Did I harm my fish by doing any of this? And if so, can I fix it?

fish_4_all 07-13-2007 05:14 PM

I doubt the LFS water was contaminated. It is more likley just a difference in water conditions form the LFS to yours. GH, KH, pH and many other things can cause your fish to react negatively when acclimating them. It oculd also be a change in your tap water that has caused it. Keep a close eye on him for a while to see if there is any tell tale signs of dropsy or if it just looks like something has changed. BTW, does it look at all like he is bloated?

Zakura 07-13-2007 05:20 PM

Yes, it does look like he's bloated. He doesn't look well at all...I honestly don't think it's acclimation problems. He's just on the bottom, seemingly gasping rapidly, and as the best description I can give, his scales look like that of a pinecone, all sticking out instead of flat against his body.

Poor Amethyst...I'm sorry I can't do more for you. :(

Lupin 07-13-2007 05:45 PM

This actually is dropsy at the rate of noticing the protrusion of scales. Sorry to hear that, Zakura.:( The chances of recovery is, unfortunately, slim.

Zakura 07-13-2007 05:49 PM

I'm not surprised to hear it, but it just makes me sadder. I just got him on Monday...I never even was able to get him to flare. Poor Amethyst...I'm afraid to look at his tank now, afraid to see him dead. :(

This is probably a stupid question, but if he's filling up with fluids, does that mean he'll explode? Sorry for my newbieness. >.<

JouteiMike 07-13-2007 07:49 PM

No explosion. I recently lost a goldfish from dropsy. He hung out for 2 days with a bloated belly and protruding scales. I felt so bad, he could barely swim, swimming upsidedown a lot.

If you pick up some epsom salt, that could reduce swelling, and the medicated food could help as well.

There's still a chance, but a slim one indeed.

Goodluck.

Zakura 07-13-2007 08:25 PM

Thanks for the reply, JouteiMike. I'm sorry for the loss of your goldfish.

I'm not sure...my mom might have some Epsom salt already. If I had it, do you know how much I should put in? I have a five gallon tank.

And thanks for the luck. I need all of it that I can get.

JouteiMike 07-14-2007 01:38 AM

For a 5 gallon tank, all you will need is 1/8 of a teaspoon.

What is the temperature of the water?

What kind of medication have you used?

One medication to use is Kanacyn, manufactured by Aquatronics. Another option would be Maracyn and Maracyn-Two. You can use these two at the same time if you want.