Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Noob looking for a FO(native fish) setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/noob-looking-fo-native-fish-setup-70382/)

Benm1020 05-13-2011 09:25 PM

Noob looking for a FO(native fish) setup

Hello looking into getting into saltwater by having a native fish tank. I live right on the bay and would like to keep native fish that i catch. What would the ideal setup be. Im looking into getting a 55 g tank. Has to be budget minded so help me out with not sugesting crazy filters with huge price tags ( im a kid)

Hamstern 05-14-2011 12:47 AM

well

it really depends on the water temperature and if you can replicate the enviroment of the lifeforms in question.

kane chisholme 05-14-2011 02:49 AM

Where exactly do u live around so o will know what kind of fish they are and what they will need

Benm1020 05-14-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kane chisholme (Post 673574)
Where exactly do u live around so o will know what kind of fish they are and what they will need

I live in nj the fish i can get range from fluke, striped bass , blue fish and get some tropical/gulf fishes from the gulf stream

onefish2fish 05-14-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benm1020 (Post 673805)
I live in nj the fish i can get range from fluke, striped bass , blue fish and get some tropical/gulf fishes from the gulf stream

i think all mentioned fish will need a tank larger then a 55 gallon.

Benm1020 05-14-2011 09:50 PM

Yea i guess i could maybe get anything up to a 100g tank. I was just saying common fish we get i wouldnt keep what i said together because they would prob. Attack eachother

I Cant really release them back in the bay right?

Teishokue 05-15-2011 03:15 AM

first of all you need permits..... theres a large fine for capturing fish... just look at what type of bay your at. and what type of fish. if water is warm... uhh most likely use warm water.....

Benm1020 05-15-2011 04:16 PM

I heard about permits but I didn't know you need it for all fish
I know that I would have to get a heater for the winter

Filter? Powerheads? Skimmer? What do I need
Posted via Mobile Device

Teishokue 05-17-2011 03:09 AM

get a heater?? if its near a warm area, use a heater to keep the temperature from dropping, find a way to chill to keep the temperature from over heating. powerheads are a must or if you have a way of water flow. skimmers are a must if you are trying to keep healthy fish.

You should look into:
Sump/Refugum
Heater
Chiller (if your in areas of extreme heat)
Power head
Filtration types
Live rock

If your going a FOWLR then you dont need to worry bout light much.
If your going reef then light fixtures are a MUST.

Note most fish will already have a parasite.
If your going FOWLR then you should look into copper meds.
For reefs you CANNOT use copper meds.
I believe a basic SW tank should be fine.

onefish2fish 05-17-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teishokue (Post 676246)
get a heater?? if its near a warm area, use a heater to keep the temperature from dropping, find a way to chill to keep the temperature from over heating. powerheads are a must or if you have a way of water flow. skimmers are a must if you are trying to keep healthy fish.

You should look into:
Sump/Refugum
Heater
Chiller (if your in areas of extreme heat)
Power head
Filtration types
Live rock

If your going a FOWLR then you dont need to worry bout light much.
If your going reef then light fixtures are a MUST.

Note most fish will already have a parasite.
If your going FOWLR then you should look into copper meds.
For reefs you CANNOT use copper meds.
I believe a basic SW tank should be fine.

i have to disagree with the copper thing. treating a fish because "most" fish will have a parasite IMO isnt a good idea. taking meds for no reason can do more harm then good. i do suggest using a QT though and observe the fishes behavior, eating habbits, and overall health.
looking into a sump would be a good idea though, as this makes a great place to put a skimmer. reading online reviews about skimmers in multiple locations is a wise idea as well, as some are great and others garbage.
you may need to run a chiller to keep your temps lower simply because i dont think jersey waters ever get above the 65 degree range, and a chiller will keep a constant low temp, which would be natural to the fish. im not 100% sure on this, but its something else that needs to be considered and researched.