Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-fish-70370/)

Mollyfish Breeder 05-13-2011 06:40 PM

New Fish

Hmm...

I have 10 for buying fish for my 13 gallon tropical fish tank. I really want a good, long living, cheap and easy to breed fish/fishes. Any species that are like that?

Oh, and to make sure its not too crowded, this is what I have so far...

a Cherry Shrimp
3 Guppy
2 Molly (but one seems really ill)
Some Molly fry
Tons of seasnails (but they are tiny)
One unknown fish (about 2")

But my fish keep dying recently. I bought new ones recently so one must of brought in an infection :(

Bigguy71 05-13-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollyfish Breeder (Post 673307)
Hmm...

I have 10 for buying fish for my 13 gallon tropical fish tank. I really want a good, long living, cheap and easy to breed fish/fishes. Any species that are like that?

Oh, and to make sure its not too crowded, this is what I have so far...

a Cherry Shrimp
3 Guppy
2 Molly (but one seems really ill)
Some Molly fry
Tons of seasnails (but they are tiny)
One unknown fish (about 2")

But my fish keep dying recently. I bought new ones recently so one must of brought in an infection :(

The fish that I can think of that are cheap and easy to breed are one that you already have, the Guppy and then there's the Swordtail, I've bred both . The sword comes in some nice colors and its easy to tell when the female is ready, her belly will be real big and you'll start to see black spots around her anus ( these are the eyes of the fry). You might want to get a little bigger tank though, maybe a 20g long if you want to breed some fish, it will give you enough space for a fry net to seperate them from the others without having to have another tank to raise them and it would be better for the swords if you decide to go with them. One thing about the sword though, you'll need a breeding compartment, it will let the fry drop down into a seperate space from the female because she will eat them if not seperated.

Mollyfish Breeder 05-14-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguy71 (Post 673352)
The fish that I can think of that are cheap and easy to breed are one that you already have, the Guppy and then there's the Swordtail, I've bred both . The sword comes in some nice colors and its easy to tell when the female is ready, her belly will be real big and you'll start to see black spots around her anus ( these are the eyes of the fry). You might want to get a little bigger tank though, maybe a 20g long if you want to breed some fish, it will give you enough space for a fry net to seperate them from the others without having to have another tank to raise them and it would be better for the swords if you decide to go with them. One thing about the sword though, you'll need a breeding compartment, it will let the fry drop down into a seperate space from the female because she will eat them if not seperated.

I can't get that new tank, as I don't buy them :'( its because I am under 18. My mollies do attack the fry but rarely actually EAT them. Do you think this could happen with swordtails? And also, the breeding part doesn't matter as much. It would just be preferred!

Byron 05-14-2011 11:37 AM

As I see you recently joined, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Livebearers are about the easiest fish, but your 13g is full with what you have. I would certainly wait until any indication of sick fish is resolved before getting more, it will only add to the problem.

Byron.

Bigguy71 05-14-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollyfish Breeder (Post 673552)
I can't get that new tank, as I don't buy them :'( its because I am under 18. My mollies do attack the fry but rarely actually EAT them. Do you think this could happen with swordtails? And also, the breeding part doesn't matter as much. It would just be preferred!

Sorry you cant get a bigger tank ,but yes the the Swordtails will eat them. When I bred them I had the female in the birthing compartment and as she was giving birth she ate a few and the others I had were right up to the container trying to get at them. If you'd like to breed get the birthing comparment which I explained before and get a fry net which looks like a box, all it is is a frame with a net around it and you can raise them in this till they are big enough not to be eaten. Both are relatively inexspensive. Oh and I agree with what Byron said, resolve any problems with your current fish before you do anything else. Also, keep an eye out for specails on tanks even if it is the same size or maybe a 10gl as 2 tanks though not real big are better than all in one, then ask mom or dad.

alysalouise 05-16-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollyfish Breeder (Post 673552)

Where are you getting your fish from?
Im under 18 and am always picking up new fish with no problems

Although the empolyees tell me their cutting me off :/ lol
I think i come in to often getting new fish lol

but anyway ive been getting fish from my petco for years now and never had a problem with not being 18

susanexpress 05-16-2011 04:34 AM

Hello

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguy71 (Post 673352)

Good idea. Thank you.