Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   MTS going up glass/near surface? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/mts-going-up-glass-near-surface-70326/)

excal88 05-13-2011 03:10 AM

MTS going up glass/near surface?

Hey guys, like the title says, my MTS are going up the glass, and 1 of them is actually above the water line. 2 of them are eating algae, no biggie, but another went up to the surface and just chilled there for a while before going back down. Usually when snails do that its a sign of bad water quality, but I just did a water change in the morning, 25%, along with a gravel vac. Couldn't get everything on the sand, but did get a decent amount. Ammonia and nitrite are at 0 ppm, with nitrate hovering between 10-30 ppm. The water is slightly cloudy even after the water change. Any ideas?

DKRST 05-13-2011 10:59 AM

My pond snails do that all the time in my 55.
I also have a 10g tank full of MTS, but it's bare-bottom. In that tank there are always a few snails that hang around the top of the waterline. Having said that, the snail tank is still cycling and the water quality is fluctuating a bit.

excal88 05-15-2011 07:10 PM

I see. I know my water quality is decent at the worst, so I'm a little confused. The snails han out about half an inch to an inch away from the top, so is it just cause they're hanging around??
Posted via Mobile Device

DKRST 05-15-2011 07:41 PM

Sorry I don't have any more specifics. My water line is pretty close to the tank's top edge. I have had two MTS snails climb all the way out of the tank and end up on the floor!

dfbiggs 05-16-2011 11:32 AM

I have all types of snails and MTS aren't usually the ones that tend to crawl out of the tank. Actually I have never had MTS crawl out of the tank. There must be a water quality problem. It is typical for them to crawl up the glass during or after a water change or at night time but never all the way out of the water. Did you add anything to the water?

excal88 05-16-2011 12:07 PM

No I haven't. It's just 2 of them out of 7 that climbs near the surface. Sometimes it happens at night, other times during the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

dfbiggs 05-16-2011 12:39 PM

Near the surface is fine..More questions for you:

Is this a new tank?
What size tank?
Ph?
dH?
Temp?

Do you think you fed them food that fogged the water?

excal88 05-16-2011 05:36 PM

Tank is relatively new, finished cycling a month ago. 12 gallon tank, ph around 7.4-7.6. Dgh at 10-12. Temp at 75 degrees. And for food, I try feeding foods that don't cloud up eater, like pellets. Actually, all the food i use aren't really messy, so I'm not sure on why the water is cloudy. All my parameters are good, 0 ammonia and nitrite, 10-20 nitrite.
Posted via Mobile Device

dfbiggs 05-16-2011 06:48 PM

Ph is fine..your water could be harder since that is still in the "slightly hard" range.

Pellets can sometimes make a mess. I have found that fresh vegetables are the cleanest for keeping water clear. I know when I use algae wafers they make the tank look dirtier and smells more but the critters like them.

I am assuming you meant 10-20 Nitrate.

These snails are pretty tough and can tolerate a lot of abuse...so it really has me wondering what the problem is. When I change my snail tanks I alternate a 99% changeone week and the 75% then nextand so on..they are so dirty..I know most would be against that..but you could always do another 50% change and see if you get a different reaction. If they are still hanging out at the top in the daytime for a couple days it is probably a hardness issue since you aren't adding any chemicals.

What else do you have in the tank?

excal88 05-17-2011 03:13 AM

I currently have 8 cory cats and 3 platy fish with 3 assassin snails as well as an infestation of pouch snails *the assassins don't bother my MTS at all, I think I got the most lazy arse assassins ever*. Out of my 7 MTS, 1 is hanging out near the top, an inch or so below the surface, and 1 is at the top breaking the surface. The other ones are chilling around, digging around in the sand or crawling around eating left over food. Kinda odd. I also found 1 in my boi filter wheel area. Kinda odd