Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help with parameters? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-parameters-70308/)

Erin8D 05-12-2011 11:06 PM

Help with parameters?

Hello there. My 10 gallon tank has been running for quite some time, and I want to redo it as I don't have any fish that will be staying in it currently. I have gravel and a few live plants now, but I intend to switch to black sand. I am also going to try a full planted tank with a large bogwood rootlike structure, covered in cut up marmio ball strips. I also want to have the corners green with anubais, and a lot of java fern scattered around.

My question is, how do I go about keeping the water parameters stable for 7-8 pygmy corries? I've read they like soft water, and I'm not sure if the wood will necessarily make it soft enough. I've always just kept guppies, so I was never highly concerned about parameters, just keeping the tank clear. Help? I've read these guys are sensitive and I really don't want to hurt them. :oops:

Pygmy Cory (Corydoras pygmaeus) Profile

EDIT: also, what other types of fish would do well with their specific requirements? Either schooling or pair(:

SinCrisis 05-13-2011 08:59 AM

Mine are kept in hard water, they do fine.

What kind of gravel? for corys its best to get sand as gravel can hurt them. If you have very fine gravel, it should be ok but if you have medium grade gravel, it might not be good for the fish.

Byron 05-13-2011 09:15 AM

What are the parameters of your tap water? There is some adaptability in many fish but not to extremes. You can find out the hardness from your water supply folks, many now have websites with this info posted. Might have pH too, but you can always test that yourself.

I may have more to comment when I know the above. On the sand, I now advise sand for the dwarf species of Corydoras. Corydoras pygmaeus seems to manager over fine gravel, but after several years and discussions with other knowledgeable fish people I am of the opinion that it is more likely to live longer with sand. Not exactly sure why, it has nothing to do with sharpness of gravel over sand; may be due to their sifting through sand and pulling it in and extracting it out through their gill slits.

Byron.

Bigguy71 05-13-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin8D (Post 672753)
Hello there. My 10 gallon tank has been running for quite some time, and I want to redo it as I don't have any fish that will be staying in it currently. I have gravel and a few live plants now, but I intend to switch to black sand. I am also going to try a full planted tank with a large bogwood rootlike structure, covered in cut up marmio ball strips. I also want to have the corners green with anubais, and a lot of java fern scattered around.

My question is, how do I go about keeping the water parameters stable for 7-8 pygmy corries? I've read they like soft water, and I'm not sure if the wood will necessarily make it soft enough. I've always just kept guppies, so I was never highly concerned about parameters, just keeping the tank clear. Help? I've read these guys are sensitive and I really don't want to hurt them. :oops:

Pygmy Cory (Corydoras pygmaeus) Profile

EDIT: also, what other types of fish would do well with their specific requirements? Either schooling or pair(:

You can use a water softening pillow that can usually be bought at any LPS, it'll remove calcium, magnesium, copper & iron. They're also rechargable.