Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Blue Gourami compatability (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/blue-gourami-compatability-70295/)

LasColinasCichlids 05-12-2011 06:48 PM

Blue Gourami compatability

Okay, considering adding a blue gourami to my tank, want to know opinions and experiences regarding their compatability with neon tetra and cories (emeralds, hasbrosus, albinos, and julli).

I am considering just one lone blue gourami.

Thanks in advance!

GwenInNM 05-12-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 672535)
Okay, considering adding a blue gourami to my tank, want to know opinions and experiences regarding their compatability with neon tetra and cories (emeralds, hasbrosus, albinos, and julli).

I am considering just one lone blue gourami.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Amanda!

From my Blue Gourami experience I would totally recommend just having one. They seem to do fine with other fish, just less so their own kind. And as you may remember, I tried a male and female together, but the male was relentless on harrassing her.

I have one male with just 4 oto cats and he leaves them alone. My female is with Dwarf Rainbows, loaches and one Bolivian ram and all is super. Can't say about the fish you are thinking, I'm sure someone will chime in:-D

Hope you're well!

Gwen

LasColinasCichlids 05-12-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 672592)
Hey Amanda!

From my Blue Gourami experience I would totally recommend just having one. They seem to do fine with other fish, just less so there own kind. And as you may remember, I tried a male and female together, but the male was relentless on harrassing her.

I have one male with just 4 oto cats and he leaves them alone. My female is with Dwarf Rainbows, loaches and one Bolivian ram and all is super. Can't say about the fish you are thinking, I'm sure someone will chime in:-D

Hope you're well!

Gwen

Funniest thing, Gwen... after posting this thread, I thought to myself... "Gwen has blue gouramis...let me go to her profile and leave a msg!" I get to your profile and it said you were replying to my thread! LOL Awesome!!!

Up until yesterday, my 29g was mostly livebearers...it had whats currently listed in my signature plus 8 guppies and a male black molly. I traded them in to my LFS for store credit and was able to get lots of plants. Anyways, I wanted to do dwarf neon rainbows, but out of 5 Petsmarts and my LFS, I could only come up with 4, and decided that if I cant get 6 at one time, I wasnt going to do it! So I was trying to figure out another option for my tank. I will add more neon tetra down the road, but I didnt want it to be JUST neons. And right now Petsmarts have all their blue gourami (gold & opaline too) on sale for under $2! And I have the space, tank size, and perfect water parameters for one. I just didnt want to get one and find out my neons or cories were going to be harmed or killed.

I know blue, golds, and opalines are all the same species, just color variations, but if I get one, I want the opaline one, the ones that look like blue marbling. And no, one is all I would consider in my tank. Thinking I might add my kuhli loaches to the 29g down the road too, but I dont know how a gourami would react to their constant activity. Amazingly enough, my male betta seems to not mind at all having all the loaches swimming around in his tank. Concerned the rasboras might not be too thrilled with the activity level of the loaches though, so if the rasboras dont find peace within a couple of days as they get use to the loaches, then I will probably put the rasboras in the 29g instead of more neons with a gourami. I think the rasboras will be fine though... especially considering my betta is having NO issues at all with 10 loaches and 5 rasboras in his 15g tank. If he does at any point in time though show signs of stress (or aggression) I have my empty 5g I can set up just for him.

Yeah, I didnt think the gourami would have any issues with the otos or the snail. But my cories are a pretty active group.

Thanks for the insight, Gwen! I appreciate it!!!

GwenInNM 05-12-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 672599)
Funniest thing, Gwen... after posting this thread, I thought to myself... "Gwen has blue gouramis...let me go to her profile and leave a msg!" I get to your profile and it said you were replying to my thread! LOL Awesome!!!

Up until yesterday, my 29g was mostly livebearers...it had whats currently listed in my signature plus 8 guppies and a male black molly. I traded them in to my LFS for store credit and was able to get lots of plants. Anyways, I wanted to do dwarf neon rainbows, but out of 5 Petsmarts and my LFS, I could only come up with 4, and decided that if I cant get 6 at one time, I wasnt going to do it! So I was trying to figure out another option for my tank. I will add more neon tetra down the road, but I didnt want it to be JUST neons. And right now Petsmarts have all their blue gourami (gold & opaline too) on sale for under $2! And I have the space, tank size, and perfect water parameters for one. I just didnt want to get one and find out my neons or cories were going to be harmed or killed.

I know blue, golds, and opalines are all the same species, just color variations, but if I get one, I want the opaline one, the ones that look like blue marbling. And no, one is all I would consider in my tank. Thinking I might add my kuhli loaches to the 29g down the road too, but I dont know how a gourami would react to their constant activity. Amazingly enough, my male betta seems to not mind at all having all the loaches swimming around in his tank. Concerned the rasboras might not be too thrilled with the activity level of the loaches though, so if the rasboras dont find peace within a couple of days as they get use to the loaches, then I will probably put the rasboras in the 29g instead of more neons with a gourami. I think the rasboras will be fine though... especially considering my betta is having NO issues at all with 10 loaches and 5 rasboras in his 15g tank. If he does at any point in time though show signs of stress (or aggression) I have my empty 5g I can set up just for him.

Yeah, I didnt think the gourami would have any issues with the otos or the snail. But my cories are a pretty active group.

Thanks for the insight, Gwen! I appreciate it!!!

I think it may just depend on the Gourami, but my female is in with very active loaches, and she seems to enjoy everyone, even the dwarf rainbows, are of course they are very active. I'm sure it would work out

Gwen

LasColinasCichlids 05-14-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 672633)
I think it may just depend on the Gourami, but my female is in with very active loaches, and she seems to enjoy everyone, even the dwarf rainbows, are of course they are very active. I'm sure it would work out

Gwen

Well, I am a very please mom to a BEAUTIFUL female opaline gourami!!! She is happily adjusting to life in my 29 gal (which last night I re-did from gravel and fake plants to sand and all live plants). She has no issues with the cories or the neons. She is soo pretty!!! She is almost a purple pearl color with shades of blues running through her. She is really shy right now, but once she comes around I will try and get some pics! I have never seen such a pretty opaline/blue/gold/3 spot gourami as her!!! I named her Ginger, lol. She just seems prissy and gingerish! LOL

I did some research before I got her, and took into account your experience. So I definately wanted a female, and am very pleased with the tank and stock! Next month I am thinking about adding 5 more neons to my group in the 29g...and down the line, might add a small group of smaller rasboras, or might split my group of loaches up in half and put 5 in the 29g.

Also for the sake of my beautiful new gourami gal, I got a few wisteria for the 29g and am floating one of them, thankfully she loves it and appreciates it! Thanks for the help, Gwen!

GwenInNM 05-14-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 674026)
Well, I am a very please mom to a BEAUTIFUL female opaline gourami!!! She is happily adjusting to life in my 29 gal (which last night I re-did from gravel and fake plants to sand and all live plants). She has no issues with the cories or the neons. She is soo pretty!!! She is almost a purple pearl color with shades of blues running through her. She is really shy right now, but once she comes around I will try and get some pics! I have never seen such a pretty opaline/blue/gold/3 spot gourami as her!!! I named her Ginger, lol. She just seems prissy and gingerish! LOL

I did some research before I got her, and took into account your experience. So I definately wanted a female, and am very pleased with the tank and stock! Next month I am thinking about adding 5 more neons to my group in the 29g...and down the line, might add a small group of smaller rasboras, or might split my group of loaches up in half and put 5 in the 29g.

Also for the sake of my beautiful new gourami gal, I got a few wisteria for the 29g and am floating one of them, thankfully she loves it and appreciates it! Thanks for the help, Gwen!

Such great news Amanda. I agree a female is better than a male. My female is doing really good, and my male I'm hesitant to put much of anything with him, as he is aggressive. I'm glad you're enjoying her.
I'm feeling bummed tonight, because I suspect I'm going to lose my Bolivian Ram. He's not eating, and he is dark in color, not the light color he was when I got him over a week ago.

Gwen

LasColinasCichlids 05-14-2011 09:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 674116)
Such great news Amanda. I agree a female is better than a male. My female is doing really good, and my male I'm hesitant to put much of anything with him, as he is aggressive. I'm glad you're enjoying her.
I'm feeling bummed tonight, because I suspect I'm going to lose my Bolivian Ram. He's not eating, and he is dark in color, not the light color he was when I got him over a week ago.

Gwen

Sorry to hear about your Ram, Gwen. Any clue to the problem? Illness, water parameters? I hope he can pull through. Have you posted a thread on the disease/illness section for him yet?

According to aqadvisor I shouldnt have my gourami with neons or my habrosus cory. So far no issues, and I dont think I will have any issues with them either. Going to add a pic of the gourami and the re-aqauscape of the 29g tank. The pic of the gourami isnt the greatest, my camera sucks.