Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Power Outage, help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/power-outage-help-70129/)

CatherineSekel 05-10-2011 08:40 PM

Power Outage, help?

I have a 50G tank and there has been a recent power outage in my area. I have been told that it may be out for a couple days. I dont have a backup generator or battery operated air pumps, how am I going to keep air in my tank? Thank you! quick replies would be appreciated :)

AbbeysDad 05-10-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatherineSekel (Post 670900)
I have a 50G tank and there has been a recent power outage in my area. I have been told that it may be out for a couple days. I dont have a backup generator or battery operated air pumps, how am I going to keep air in my tank? Thank you! quick replies would be appreciated :)

I'd go to wallymart or any sporting goods store that sells fishing equipment and buy an inexpensive battery operated air pump used for minnow buckets.
Here is a case where an air operated sponge filter would come in handy as double duty :smile:

Oh - don't forget batteries!

CatherineSekel 05-10-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 670912)
I'd go to wallymart or any sporting goods store that sells fishing equipment and buy an inexpensive battery operated air pump used for minnow buckets.
Here is a case where an air operated sponge filter would come in handy as double duty :smile:

Oh - don't forget batteries!

Thank you for the answer! Unfortunatly, i live about 5 hours away from a store that sells any fish equipment or any of the like (I live in a small town in the middle of no where). Is there anything else I could do?

amberjade 05-10-2011 09:02 PM

I wouldn't freak out too much if it's only for a day or two. Just do partial water changes until the power comes back on. I get power outages all the time! Gotta love living in the country.

Have you got live plants? Can you get hold of any?
Posted via Mobile Device

AbbeysDad 05-10-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatherineSekel (Post 670921)
Thank you for the answer! Unfortunatly, i live about 5 hours away from a store that sells any fish equipment or any of the like (I live in a small town in the middle of no where). Is there anything else I could do?

Amazon dot com ...

CatherineSekel 05-10-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberjade (Post 670928)
I wouldn't freak out too much if it's only for a day or two. Just do partial water changes until the power comes back on. I get power outages all the time! Gotta love living in the country.

Have you got live plants? Can you get hold of any?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks soo much, that was just the kind of advice I was looking for! Yes i have some live plants, but not as many as I would like!

One more question: How long would it approximately take for the water to lose enough oxygen to kill my fish? (My tank is 50 gallons) thank you!

Boredomb 05-10-2011 09:22 PM

I lost power about two weeks ago for 3 days. I didn't have time to do water changes during that time. I have a 55 gallon with 9 fish and lots of plants. My fish were fine during that time. As Soon as I got power and things calmed down I did a water change. All my fish made it I didn't lose any!

Boredomb 05-10-2011 09:23 PM

If you don't have a lot of plants I would probably do some water changes and I would think you will be just fine.

Mikaila31 05-10-2011 09:26 PM

Its not even O2 levels you need to worry about really, its how fast ammonia and stuff will build up with the filter off.... what kinda filter do you have?

Boredomb 05-10-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 670951)
Its not even O2 levels you need to worry about really, its how fast ammonia and stuff will build up with the filter off.... what kinda filter do you have?

You know Mikaila I didn't even think of that part when I lost power. Hmmm that's a good point. I probably should tried and done a water change sooner then I did oops but I do have a question at this point why would it matter what kinda filter she has if the power is off?