Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   re siliconing tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/re-siliconing-tank-70111/)

tonybb 05-10-2011 04:57 PM

re siliconing tank?
 
hello everyone,
i hope im asking this question in the right area and if not let me start by saying i apologize. my question is i got a 36l x 30h x 12d used tank from a friend. i have to re-seal it. in the process of taqring it down i noticed that the bottom is 2 seperate 1/4 glass panes. the front, back, and both sides r 3/16 thick. is that normal for the bottom to be 2 pieces 1 on top of the other?

onefish2fish 05-10-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonybb (Post 670639)
hello everyone,
i hope im asking this question in the right area and if not let me start by saying i apologize. my question is i got a 36l x 30h x 12d used tank from a friend. i have to re-seal it. in the process of taqring it down i noticed that the bottom is 2 seperate 1/4 glass panes. the front, back, and both sides r 3/16 thick. is that normal for the bottom to be 2 pieces 1 on top of the other?

if i had to guess, this tank was not used for fish and maybe a reptile or hamster? the bottom pane of glass should not be in 2 seperate pieces, sounds like a disaster waiting.

tonybb 05-10-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 670674)
if i had to guess, this tank was not used for fish and maybe a reptile or hamster? the bottom pane of glass should not be in 2 seperate pieces, sounds like a disaster waiting.


i was thinking the same thing. i dont no if im being understood correctly. the bottom of the tank the 2 pieces r right on top of each other not side by side? i still think it was built to be a reptile tank but what has got me confussed is say it is a reptile tank y is the glass so darn think?

onefish2fish 05-10-2011 06:20 PM

this actually makes sense. maybe it was "re-inforced" because they were scared of it breaking from a reptile. have you taken the tank outside, put it on a flat, dry, level surface, filled it with hose water, waited about 24 hours and returned to see if theres any notice of leaks? i dont want you to try this if its obvious the thing wont hold water, id hate to have you come back on here saying your tank collapsed. from the sound of things though, it doesnt seem like a tank made for aquariums.

tonybb 05-10-2011 07:25 PM

[quote=onefish2fish;670710]this actually makes sense. maybe it was "re-inforced" because they were scared of it breaking from a reptile. have you taken the tank outside, put it on a flat, dry, level surface, filled it with hose water, waited about 24 hours and returned to see if theres any notice of leaks? i dont want you to try this if its obvious the thing wont hold water, id hate to have you come back on here saying your tank collapsed. from the sound of things though, it doesnt seem like a tank made for aquariums.[/quote

i did last week and it had a leak thats y im resilicone it. today i just finished taking it all apart and noticed that on the front bottom corner is a sticker that states:

prestige aquariums
walnut, california
makers of quality aquariums

im not 1 to put anybody down but if anybody here owns one of there aquariums u just might want to start looking for a new aquarium. they r not quality aquariums. as soon as i got the frame off on all 4 corners at the bottom there must of been 1/8" gap all the way around the bottom filled with silicone. so makers of quality i think they need to look in the dictionary and reread what the word quality means

AbbeysDad 05-10-2011 08:26 PM

I don't design aquariums but all things, including glass, expand and contract and I don't see a problem with some space for silicone between glass panes at the frame...and I'm not sure I understand a perceived problem with double glass on the bottom - just makes it stronger?
Any old aquarium can leak especially if they've been stressed or the silicone has lost it's flex...

Remember the days of metal frames, slate bottoms and tar in the frame....(am I dating myself? :smile: )

tonybb 05-10-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 670872)
I don't design aquariums but all things, including glass, expand and contract and I don't see a problem with some space for silicone between glass panes at the frame...and I'm not sure I understand a perceived problem with double glass on the bottom - just makes it stronger?
Any old aquarium can leak especially if they've been stressed or the silicone has lost it's flex...

Remember the days of metal frames, slate bottoms and tar in the frame....(am I dating myself? :smile: )

your r correct. and i am wrong for saying what i said about prestige aquariums. thank you again for pointing out what u did. foot in mouth;-)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2