Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   partial water changes (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/partial-water-changes-701/)

trreherd 10-02-2006 05:38 PM

partial water changes

I heard that to prepare the water for a partial water change your supposed to (age) the water for three days is this a bunch of nonsense or is this true?-also i have been eying a hunk of live rock at a local fish store i paid nine dollars for three neon tetras so i know this guy jacks up his prices-so how much per pound is exeptable for a lf

usmc121581 10-02-2006 05:42 PM

It depends what part of the region you are from. On the east coast I've seen it from 3.99/lb-12.99/lb. It also depends on were it has come from. I found it cheaper to buy it off the internet if you just started.

caferacermike 10-03-2006 10:05 PM

www.oceanhomes.com Monica comes highly recommended for Live Rock and has awsome prices. I've been to her personally. As stated expect $4-12 a lb depending upon what super rare lost island the pieces supposedly come from. I always say check your local craigslist first or find a local salt forum to join. I see 10 yo pieces sell for $2 a pound all day long. Thos pieces come from the good old days of super light, super porous Fiji rock before all the easy and nice pieces were collected. Fiji isn't what Fiji used to be.

I only set my water out for about an hour before adding. I do 15g a week on my 75g. I have a special trash can only for mixing water. I start with water from my 8 stage RO/DI unit and use SeaChem reefsalt. I've found it tends to settle in and the params even out in about an hour of mixing with a Seio M800, 800gph, pump. If it really needed to age for days on end how would the "professional" maintenace guys do it? They usually only have an hour to do everything listed in their maintenance contracts.

crazie.eddie 10-03-2006 10:19 PM

Since you specified partial water changes and not top-offs, then it makes a difference. With water changes, you are actually removing the water from the tank, therefore, the water you replace needs to be mixed with salt. Unfortunately, when making your salt mixture, salt does not dissolve immediately. So when you prepare water, you need to add salt, and use a pump/powerhead to continiously stir water around. Then wait a day or 2 to verify you have the correct salinity using a hygrometer.

If you were just topping off water due to water evaporation, then all you need to do is just add water (not salt mixture), since only the water evaporates, and not the salt.

I would have to assume that if a pro came in to do it, he would already have a container of salt water already mixed at the site. If they wanted to do an "on the spot mix" they could probably just keep adding salt into the water and only measure the salinity for the salt that has already dissolved. When they finished, they would just dump the water and undissolved salt down the drain. Though kind of haphazardous, it is feasible. Just my assumptions though.

caferacermike 10-03-2006 10:25 PM

My old homeboy CE, how are you?

You actually wait 2 days? I don't know anyone that actually does. A friend of mine here in ATX is a tank maintenance guy. It;s his only source of income and he makes a great living. Even he tells me that an hour is plenty long enough if mixing well to check levels.

crazie.eddie 10-03-2006 10:33 PM

Sup caferacermike :)

When I had brackish tank for my 37 gal, I would prep my water in a 20 gal tank and add salt. The salt never dissolved thoroughly, so I waited a day or so before adding it into the tank.

caferacermike 10-03-2006 10:38 PM

We just don't pour in what we call "sediment". basically as long as the salinity, PH, and temp are all correct and the same as the tank we are working on we call it a day and do the water change. The salt tends to bind quickly. A lot of the sediments it turns out are some of the other minerals that do not mix as easily.