Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi Im new and need a lot of help! :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-im-new-need-lot-help-70077/)

amy101 05-10-2011 08:44 AM

Hi Im new and need a lot of help! :)

I have a ten gallon tank with 3 small mollies, 1 sunburst platy, 2 ghost shrimp and 1 snail. First does that sound too crowded? They are all very tiny at the moment. One of my ghost shrimp just hides, doesnt move that often. My main concern is my sunburst. She just swims up and down the glass staring at her reflection and doesnt interact with the other fish. Do they not get along? There is no sign of aggression by either species, they just leave her to her swimming but I feel bad. Should I add another one like her in there? Also my snail is a gold mystery snail. Some people said they are asexual.? Thanks for all the help.

GwenInNM 05-10-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy101 (Post 670236)
I have a ten gallon tank with 3 small mollies, 1 sunburst platy, 2 ghost shrimp and 1 snail. First does that sound too crowded? They are all very tiny at the moment. One of my ghost shrimp just hides, doesnt move that often. My main concern is my sunburst. She just swims up and down the glass staring at her reflection and doesnt interact with the other fish. Do they not get along? There is no sign of aggression by either species, they just leave her to her swimming but I feel bad. Should I add another one like her in there? Also my snail is a gold mystery snail. Some people said they are asexual.? Thanks for all the help.

Is your tank cycled? Your fish could be responding to high levels of ammonia or nitrites. What are your water parameters? If you don't have a test kit go get the API liquid test kit.

Those fish should not have any problems together. Sounds like your Platy is stressed for some reason, that would explain the moving up and down the glass. Your tank does not sound over crowded, but if the fish are behaving stressed, I'm guessing you have a problem with your water parameters.

I don't think Mystery snails are asexual, so you shouldn't worry about getting more if you just have one.

Welcome to the forum!

Gwen

amy101 05-11-2011 12:27 PM

Thankyou I bought a test kit and my tank is perfect. The shrimp seems to be acting a little better today, as well as the fish. Im concerned about my snail, I have not once seen it eat any food. Heard the algae wafers are good? Wont the fish and shrimp just eat them before the snail has a chance?

redchigh 05-11-2011 03:36 PM

Welcome!

If the snail is active, I'm sure it will be fine. They like to eat the biofilm, algae, and such thats all over the glass. They'll also eat any tiny specks of food left over from the fish.

As for the sunburst- how long have you had it? Some fish do that until they get used to the tank. Are there hiding places in the tank? (fake/real plants, rockwork, driftwood, etc)

The shrimp is hiding because of your 'giant' fish in the tank. It'll get over it's fear eventually.

Mollyfish Breeder 05-11-2011 05:24 PM

I'd get another platy, most fish prefer being in pairs.

badxgillen 05-12-2011 12:24 AM

hi

hello and welcome aboard..ask away as there are a number of inteligent peoples her to answer you.ADIOS.

amy101 05-12-2011 10:34 AM

The snail is very active now, I bought some algae wafers and it really got it active. The sunburst is acting alittle better, I purchased it on Tuesday so I'm assuming it needs to adjust. I have 4 live plants and 2 fake rocks. BUT, I just tested my water, and my nitrite seems to be a little high. Its in the lower stress level, Im assuming the tank is still cycling, it is only a week old. The girl at the store said only do 20% water changes once a week, but some websites say to do 50% everyday if there are fish in the tank. I trust you on here to know what is correct. Thanks I don't want to harm my fish

willow 05-12-2011 02:27 PM

hello and welcome. :-D

GwenInNM 05-12-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy101 (Post 672208)
The snail is very active now, I bought some algae wafers and it really got it active. The sunburst is acting alittle better, I purchased it on Tuesday so I'm assuming it needs to adjust. I have 4 live plants and 2 fake rocks. BUT, I just tested my water, and my nitrite seems to be a little high. Its in the lower stress level, Im assuming the tank is still cycling, it is only a week old. The girl at the store said only do 20% water changes once a week, but some websites say to do 50% everyday if there are fish in the tank. I trust you on here to know what is correct. Thanks I don't want to harm my fish

Any bit of nitrites will stress and perhaps kill your fish. Don't listen to the pet store lady. Do a water change everyday if you have nitrites. A 10 gal is a small tank so 50% or less will be good. Also, buy Prime Seachem as your water conditioner, it also will neutralize any nitrites, ammonia or nitrates for 24 hours, so that will help you too.

Best of luck, but if your tank is only one week old you may have a couple/few weeks to go until your tank is cycled. Water changes (frequent) are the only thing you can do to keep from killing your fish.

Sounds like you're doing good things by your fish, so far.

Gwen

Teishokue 05-15-2011 04:42 AM

what type of snail??? if its a pond/pouch snail, malasian trumpet snail or ramshorn snail, it will reproduce quickly. but if it is any other snails, and complications come up with water quality, it will most likely go first. so if its not a pest snail from above then watch it carefully also. as for the ghost shrimps, they tend to be very hardy knowing inverts get affected by chemicals fast but for some reason my ghosts can take alot of damage. been through cycles twice lol. your tank is "perfect" for starting a cycle lol. watch ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. i prefer a high dose of nitrite ---> nitrate but that will most likely kill your fish.. easier to tell that it will complete but will affect your fishes. do your water changes should be fine, condition your water also. ive read through many forums and used many conditioners. my hair is perfect. but the conditioner im talking about is one of my favorite Seachem's "PRIME". listed above