Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Can you mix Bala Sharks and a Blood Red Parrot fish?

12K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
Im just wondering if you can mix them i have a 60 gal tank with 6 bala's 5 laced catfish and 3 gourmai and i want to add a blood parrot fish to it any suggestions?

#2 ·
I'm afraid you have some looming problems with your fish stocking. Starting with the question, I would suspect the gourami to be annoyed with the Blood Parrot more than the Bala Shark might be. This is not a recommended matching.

But having said that, as the Bala grow, they will be very aggressive in such a small space. They attain 14 inches, some authors say 16 inches, and a group needs a 6-foot tank at minimum.

You can read more on these fish in our profiles, click on the shaded names to see the profile, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top to access the profile section.

Byron.

#4 ·
That is perfectly normal gourami behaviour. Males (it is likely a male) are very territorial, and can be highly aggressive to other males and sometimes to other gourami. More than one member here has told us sad stories of a gourami that was "peaceful" until one day it started killing every other gourami in sight. I don't know your gourami species, but the common "medium/large" species are best in groups of one male to 2-3 females for this very reason. Though again, sometimes a particular male will attack females. They need lots of plants, wood, etc. for cover or the stress may kill them if the fish doesn't.

Glad the larger tank is in the works. Bala Shark are beautiful fish, but many do not plan their needs. I'm glad you are thinking ahead.

I would steer clear of the Red Parrot though; they are rather shy (esp for a cichlid) and boisterous tankmates like the playful sharks in such a small space will not be welcomed.

Byron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.