Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   My Otocinclus died!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-otocinclus-died-6987/)

binaryjripper 07-10-2007 01:11 PM

My Otocinclus died!!!

So my Otocinclus fish died and I have no idea why.

I tested the water and everything is fine.

So what would make this little guy kick the bucket.

mHeinitz57 07-10-2007 01:50 PM

stress, temperature, lack of food...who knows. :-( I'm sorry to hear about your loss though, how long did you have it for?

fish_4_all 07-10-2007 01:59 PM

One thing that might have caused it, if this is the case, is if it was a single oto in a tank. I have never been able to keep them alive for long in singles but when i got 4 of them the lived and have been happy for well over a year. This is definately one fish, from my experience, that not only prefers to be in groups but doesn't do well if not kept in a group of at least 3.

binaryjripper 07-10-2007 02:06 PM

temperature is at 83.4 Farenhite, the water is fine, for food the algae tablets, and I had it for a week.

JouteiMike 07-10-2007 02:28 PM

Temperature seems a little too high. What was your pH?

As previously stated, Otos do best in groups.

binaryjripper 07-10-2007 03:13 PM

PH was between 0-.25 which is ideal or safe.

What should the temperature be at?

I thought anything close to 80F was ok.

mHeinitz57 07-10-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
One thing that might have caused it, if this is the case, is if it was a single oto in a tank. I have never been able to keep them alive for long in singles but when i got 4 of them the lived and have been happy for well over a year. This is definately one fish, from my experience, that not only prefers to be in groups but doesn't do well if not kept in a group of at least 3.

that is a great point...otos are schooling fish. Often when schooling fish are kept in singles they are more stressed and will not eat as readily.

Gump 07-10-2007 03:42 PM

I've lost many of them in transport from store to home on in the first week of ownership. I think the fish is just a weak traveler.

miagrrl 07-15-2007 04:59 PM

yeah, they don't travel well. mine died as well. keeping them in groups will reduce the stress- also if they don't get enough to eat, they will die. they are VERY sensetive to water parameters also. good luck. i don't have the heart to try another round with otos yet...still missing my little guy. :cry:

lioness501 07-24-2007 11:33 AM

sorry to hear of ur loss, i had 3 otos now im down to 1 and he has been alone for a while, well with a dwarf puffer. the other 2 died i think due to there not being enuff algae. apparently they will rarely eat anythin other than algae