Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   "Leech" Problem. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/leech-problem-69843/)

Gav 05-07-2011 02:05 PM

"Leech" Problem.

I need help to identify what appears to be leeches in my tank and after I find out what they are would like to know if they are harmful to my fish and how to get rid of them if they are.

The tank is 90L (UK) and has been set up for over 2 years now.

I have a Zigzag Eel, Senegal Bichir, Banjo Catfish and possibly 2 Armoured Shrimp (they are good at hiding so can't say for sure) in the tank.

The "leeches" are between 2 and 6 millimeters, they are a light grey colour, also i have noticed some have a small white patch on the underside. I'm afraid I can't get any pictures just yet as I scraped them off the glass when I first noticed them they usually come out when my tank gets a bit dirty and I done a water change a couple of days ago. The easiest way I can think to describe their shape is that they resemble bowling pins with the neck being skinny and the body and head oval shaped.

I don't buy alot of fish anymore but I do get plants from time to time as they don't last very long, so the most likely place they came from is the sponge that is used to protect the plant roots.

I know there's not alot to work with but any info or suggestions what they might be would be appreciated, I will go check my tank now and see if I can get a pic to help.

Gav 05-07-2011 02:35 PM

Forgot to say, when I first noticed them there were only 2 or 3, that was about a week ago, when I finished my water change there must have been 30-40 in one corner and a few more scattered around the tank.

Guppie luver 05-07-2011 02:45 PM

CRAP I don't know what it is but I wuld remove them NOW and kill it I don't know how but KILL them and ask for help from others.

Gav 05-07-2011 02:54 PM

I have tried I used one of my gravel cleaner tubes and rolled it along the glass hoping to squash them. Went up to try and get a pic and I don't know how but I spotted an egg sac, it is about 1-2 millimeters in diameter clear and has 10-15 clear "balls" inside it is stuck to a stone at the bottom of my tank. I have tried to get a pic but it is impossible, have tried every setting on my camera and every angle and pic enhancement it had and failed.

Guppie luver 05-07-2011 03:05 PM

get a spoon and squesh it.

Gav 05-07-2011 03:39 PM

Mushed the egg sac, but upon moving my mopani wood to get to the stone I must have disturbed their nest as I now have loads of them moving around my tank. Tried my best to get some good pics but it is very difficult, will try and get some on here after they have been downloaded.

Guppie luver 05-07-2011 03:50 PM

Ok

Gav 05-07-2011 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hope this works, have other pics but need to find them again.

Guppie luver 05-07-2011 03:53 PM

HUMMMMMMMM? I don't know.

Gav 05-07-2011 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is of the egg sac but its not very clear and very hard to see.