Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish ID (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-id-69771/)

skerry 05-06-2011 05:48 PM

Fish ID

1 Attachment(s)
My girlfriend came home with 6 new fish today but forgot find out the name
she just thought they looked pretty :-?
Attachment 28088
Must admitt there a nice fish i just want to make sure there in decent water conditions and with fish that wont attack them

justinianobrenden 05-06-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skerry (Post 666968)
My girlfriend came home with 6 new fish today but forgot find out the name
she just thought they looked pretty :-?
Attachment 28088
Must admitt there a nice fish i just want to make sure there in decent water conditions and with fish that wont attack them

they look like some kind of tetra... what are its tank mates?

skerry 05-07-2011 10:55 AM

Ok Ive been told the name its just I cant find them on the net anywhere
there "Popom Detta rainbow" fish think spellings right
i was a bit worried that my killifish/ dwarf gourami's and neon blue rams might
get a bit fin nippy but ive been told they'll be fine and in the tank so far so good
Posted via Mobile Device

skerry 05-07-2011 11:02 AM

just found the full name
popomdetta furcicata
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 05-07-2011 12:49 PM

This is a rainbowfish, the previous scientific name was Popondetta furcatus but it is now validly known as Pseudomugil furcatus.

It must be kept in a group, minimum 6, so you are good there. It prefers basic water (pH in the 7's) and some hardness (15-30 dGH).

Being small, it needs suitable quiet tankmates. The rams will probably leave them alone. Killifish may or may not, depending upon which species you have. Dwarf gourami can be questionable, as they prefer the upper water level and these rainbows are surface fish. Lots of floating plants will help.

Byron.

skerry 05-07-2011 02:08 PM

Iv'e got Aphyosemion australe m&f and to be honest he doesn't take any notice of them which im glad cos i know they can be a bit of a fin nipper but he just folows my pepper corys around being nosey

As for the gourami's ive been VERY lucky due to having 2 male and 2 female that actually get on (was clueless when i got them and lfs said "they'll be ok together") my tank has lots of plants which has probably helped alot and the gourami's have there own corners which they dont wonder very far from

Byron 05-07-2011 03:22 PM

Sounds good then. Just keep an eye, sometimes after fish have settled things start to happen.

I had A. australe back in the 1980's, beautiful little fish; they were in their own space, a 10g I think.

Byron.