Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Quick question regarding Mystery Snail babies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/quick-question-regarding-mystery-snail-babies-69708/)

ashokantony 05-05-2011 06:29 PM

Quick question regarding Mystery Snail babies

Hi All,

I have a yellow/golden mystery snail which recently laid a clutch of eggs. I have never had snails before but have had several fishes. Question is, when the babies hatch from eggs, I'll get all yellow/golden snails or would the babies be of different colors?

Also, this is the 3rd day and the eggs look kinda wet. Is that normal?

Regards
Ashok

LasColinasCichlids 05-05-2011 10:47 PM

How to take care of apple snails: food, housing and breeding.

ashokantony 05-05-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 666488)

Thanks. Appreciate the help. Tank parameters: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and almost 0 Nitrates. About 10 plants rooted and lot of floating plants. pH is 7.4 or 7.5 and water is hard. temperature is constant at around 75 F.

I checked that site but it doesn't say anything about the colors of the new born babies. If you could let me know that too, it would be great.

LasColinasCichlids 05-05-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashokantony (Post 666506)
Thanks. Appreciate the help. Tank parameters: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and almost 0 Nitrates. About 10 plants rooted and lot of floating plants. pH is 7.4 or 7.5 and water is hard. temperature is constant at around 75 F.

I checked that site but it doesn't say anything about the colors of the new born babies. If you could let me know that too, it would be great.

Depends on the exact species...as when they are first born, some are slightly red, while others are more of a light pink, and others creme/tan/white...shells being very small at this point, seeing them right away is difficult, especially in a larger tank. Withing 2-5 months they are an inch and look normal. A lot of babies will die in the beginning weeks of life from lack of food and such.

Your water parameters are fine for them...I would consider raising the temp a couple of degrees for a little while though, maybe 77-78F, as it helps them grow quicker. Anything higher for too long can shorten lifespan due to speeding up the metabolism.

ashokantony 05-07-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 666514)
Depends on the exact species...as when they are first born, some are slightly red, while others are more of a light pink, and others creme/tan/white...shells being very small at this point, seeing them right away is difficult, especially in a larger tank. Withing 2-5 months they are an inch and look normal. A lot of babies will die in the beginning weeks of life from lack of food and such.

Your water parameters are fine for them...I would consider raising the temp a couple of degrees for a little while though, maybe 77-78F, as it helps them grow quicker. Anything higher for too long can shorten lifespan due to speeding up the metabolism.

Thanks. Over the past 2 days, I slowly raised the temp (1 per day) and now the temp is at 77. Will monitor the egg clutch closely. Thanks for all the help

LasColinasCichlids 05-07-2011 11:50 PM

No problem, and good luck!!!