Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Can I use terrarium/reptile wood in aquariums? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/can-i-use-terrarium-reptile-wood-69676/)

Akeath 05-05-2011 11:39 AM

Can I use terrarium/reptile wood in aquariums?

I found some really lovely wood at Petco called Mac's riverwood, its sold for reptile use and terrariums. Does anyone know if that would be safe to use in aquariums? Would it rot?

lorax84 05-05-2011 11:40 AM

If you can find the company's website I would contact them and ask if it will be aquarium safe.

TwinDad 05-06-2011 01:14 PM

It appears to be grape wood like a few other terrarium wood products. The only information I can find is it is not aquarium safe.

Petsmart and Petco do carry mopani wood in the terrarium section from zoo med that is aquarium safe.

Mikaila31 05-06-2011 05:15 PM

Grapewood is actually suppose to be aquarium safe, though it floats and breaksdown much faster then the aquarium stuff. I personally would not recommend it, reason is I bought some from petsmart years ago that completely crashed a tank in less then 24 hours. Seems they like to treat that wood with something, since no normal wood should cause the readings I saw from that. A simple test if you want to use it is to soak it in a bucket or bin of water all by itself. Then test the water for ammonia and nitrite after 48 hours. If readings are good it should be fine. It should be really obvious if its not from what I experienced.

Christople 05-06-2011 07:16 PM

what about sand blasted manzanita... found some and holy moly at my lfs it is around 30 bucks a small piece but it's 8 bucks for just as amazing pieces... It was in the reptile section to be clear.

TwinDad 05-06-2011 09:48 PM

Someone a few weeks ago posted that they picked up some manzanita from an online person that sells the wood for crafts and sells it to aquarium people as a side business. Nobody then said it was not suitable. Yout might want to forum search for manzanita and see what it brings up.

Christople 05-07-2011 10:12 AM

But would it work though... what would you do

dusted 05-07-2011 10:39 AM

I think it just depends on the wood that you buy, my wood is from a reptile company named zilla and it works well. My brother bought some wood from petco a few months ago and after 2 months he tossed it out. The wood stained the bucket so bad that you couldn't see the bottom after 2 days.

Mikaila31 05-07-2011 11:35 AM

I would just soak any wood you are unsure of. That be said I never do it to the aquarium sold stuff, or the wood I collect from the woods around my house. As far as a peice of wood producing tannins... thats really just personal aesthetics. Tannins never hurt anything except how unnaturally clear an aquarium is. Some people love that look and as far as the fish go tannin filled water is generally much better and natural for soft-water south American species. Its kinda the whole focus behind a black water aquarium. What I am warning about is actual toxins released by the wood. From what I experienced with what I am almost positive was a piece of treated wood now(it was for reptiles), it sent ammonia and nitrite thought the roof and took out half my stock in 24 hours...

Christople 05-07-2011 10:51 PM

yepp will deff. check it out.