Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Cloudiness in my tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/cloudiness-my-tank-69667/)

DuskDarkVoid 05-05-2011 05:45 AM

Cloudiness in my tank.

Hi everyone. Ummm I set up my tank on my birthday (april 19th) and I put a couple of plant seeds and about 9 live plants in my tank and I was wondering if live plants can cloud up a tank. The cloudiness looks kinda light yellow clearish. I have also been adding a bit of aquarium plant food. I just wanna know if it is the plants.

Also, I bought the plants ant Petco and Petsmart. They sell them attached to some like foam thingy to keep them together. Will these type of plants sprout roots or will they just stay there and die slowly?

Thanks people =]

1077 05-05-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskDarkVoid (Post 665894)
Hi everyone. Ummm I set up my tank on my birthday (april 19th) and I put a couple of plant seeds and about 9 live plants in my tank and I was wondering if live plants can cloud up a tank. The cloudiness looks kinda light yellow clearish. I have also been adding a bit of aquarium plant food. I just wanna know if it is the plants.

Also, I bought the plants ant Petco and Petsmart. They sell them attached to some like foam thingy to keep them together. Will these type of plants sprout roots or will they just stay there and die slowly?

Thanks people =]

My guess would be that they are not true aquatic plant's but I could be wrong.
If they aren't..they will slowly rot and die and this could be what's fouling the water.
Some pictures would be helpful.
I have seen these bunches of plant's labeled as.."assorted aquatic plant's" and many of them will only do well if leaves are kept above the water.
I would look for plant's such as Anubia,Java fern,sword plant's,water sprite,Crypts.

Byron 05-05-2011 11:38 AM

The cloudiness might also be bacterial, normal in new tanks. Or it may be tannins leeching from wood if you have any.

Which plant fertilizer are you using?

Can you post a photo of the plants? As 1077 rightly mentioned, they may not be aquatic. As for the foam stuff, that should be removed, as carefully as you can to avoid damaging roots. Also any ties should be removed.

Byron.

DuskDarkVoid 05-05-2011 01:47 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Usually the "assorted" plants are sold at Walmart but I don't buy plants there. I have a piece of driftwood in the tank which the fish like. If I remove the foam, how do I anchor down the plants? They are all single steams and they put them in the foam thingy to keep them together. I bought the plants at Petco and Petsmart. The plants were completely sumurged in the tanks where they had them. Here are the pics of the plants including the plant food I use.

Byron 05-05-2011 03:34 PM

First, having now seen the photos, the cloudiness in my view is due to this being a new tank. Sometimes they clear in a few days, sometimes a few weeks. As long as ammonia and nitrite are zero, and the fish seem normal, not a problem.

Though I have not used the Aqueon plant food, from the ingredients on their website it looks pretty good. How much do you need to use, according to their label? Just curious.

The plants are aquatic, all stem plants. As for planting, separate the stems, it will prevent (somewhat) dying off of the lower leaves. They do look nice in groups, but if too close the lower leaves will not get enough light or water circulation. Poke the cut ends down into the gravel as far as you can, it should hold them.

Byron.

DuskDarkVoid 05-05-2011 05:03 PM

Thanks 1077 and Byron for the info =]

The Aqueon food says to use about 10ml once a week for each 10gallons of water with smaller dosages throughout the week and thats what I've been doing. So I should just take away the foam and plant each steam close but separate from the rest?

Byron 05-05-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskDarkVoid (Post 666197)
Thanks 1077 and Byron for the info =]

The Aqueon food says to use about 10ml once a week for each 10gallons of water with smaller dosages throughout the week and thats what I've been doing. So I should just take away the foam and plant each steam close but separate from the rest?

I would, though I might plant them in groups of 2-3 stems for a bushier look.

That's a lot of Aqueon. When it runs out you might want to take a look at Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement. It may be more expensive for the bottle [no idea, just surmising] but you only need 2.5 ml [= 1/2 teaspoon] for 30 gallons once a week. That's equivalent to 30ml [= 6 teaspoons] of Aqueon once a week, or 12 times as much every week. Long term it could save money; I use Flourish Comprehensive and recommend it.

Byron.

DuskDarkVoid 05-05-2011 07:13 PM

Ok, then I'll separate the plants. Will they still grow roots if I separate them by 2 or 3 steams? Where can I buy the Flourish Comprehensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 05-05-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskDarkVoid (Post 666285)
Ok, then I'll separate the plants. Will they still grow roots if I separate them by 2 or 3 steams? Where can I buy the Flourish Comprehensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes to the root question. As to stores, any that carry Seachem products probably will have their line of plant stuff. You want Flourish Comprehensive. They make many products under the Flourish name.

Aunt kymmie lives in San Diego, if she sees this she will most assuredly mention stores, she uses Flourish too.

Byron.

DuskDarkVoid 05-05-2011 09:11 PM

Awesomeness!!! I really hope shes this too!!! Thanks for the help Byron =]
Posted via Mobile Device