Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   55 Gallon Tank - Rookie to plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/55-gallon-tank-rookie-plants-6965/)

zeus50 07-09-2007 06:32 AM

55 Gallon Tank - Rookie to plants

So I've been reading up on tanks, and I really would like real plants in mine. So my question. Not sure if I will be putting a CO2 system on my tank. Are there plants that will be ok with out it? If not, how much do these systems cost? I just bought 50lbs of rocks from walmart. Will this be ok for the plants to grow in?

Also, if any plants will fit my above system. I would like plants that do not need pruning.

Thanks in advance.

Z

Lupin 07-09-2007 06:45 AM

Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Rookie to plants

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus50
Are there plants that will be ok with out it?

Most plants will be okay without the use of CO2. We use CO2 to increase the rate of plant growth along with lighting and ferts.
Quote:

I just bought 50lbs of rocks from walmart. Will this be ok for the plants to grow in?
Is these gravel you're talking about? 5-7 cm deep of substrate will help allow the plants' roots to anchor firmly.
Quote:

Also, if any plants will fit my above system. I would like plants that do not need pruning.
Pruning is necessary to control the plant growth. Not doing so will cut off the access of lighting to other plants thereby affecting the growth of most plants that have been put under shaded portions.

Some plants can be grown by runners. Cryptocorynes and vallisnerias are the most prominent examples of this category. Plants that can be cut and replant are hygrophila, elodea, ambulia, cabomba, rotala, ludwigia and many others. They are among the fast growing plants.

I'd recommend the Nymphaea lotus but be sure to prune out the leaves that reach the surface as they can seriously cut off the lighting needed by other plants. This plant can grow leaves at a size of more than 6 inches in diameter. I find crypts, vallisnerias, elodeas and hygros easy to grow and aren't as demanding as some other plants do.

Javan moss, Javan ferns and anubias can be grown under low lighting conditions. All three are often found attached to decors and do not need substrate to anchor themselves.

If you want floating plants, Pistia stratiotes, duckweeds, salvinia and riccia are a few I can mention. If you cannot possibly regulate the duckweeds, avoid them. They have been considered a pest and can be difficult to remove. Most fish can eat them but it is best to avoid them.

zeus50 07-11-2007 05:25 AM

thanks for the info.

One more question.

At what point in the tank cycle can I put plants? I filled the tank up last night. Can I put plants in now?

Z

leifthebunny 07-11-2007 09:08 AM

Plants can be added in anytime.

zeus50 07-11-2007 09:28 AM

Sweet thanks. Should I add nutrient tabs right away or should I wait a bit?

leifthebunny 07-11-2007 11:47 AM

You can do that or a liquid fertilizer. If you use a liquid fertilizer, just make sure there is no carbon in your filter, otherwise it will remove it from the water.

fish_4_all 07-11-2007 01:55 PM

No prune plants huh. Anubais Nana, nana petite, Nana Narrow Leaf, Pygmy Anubias, small crypts Like parva and Lucens although eventually you may need to remove some of the baby plants.

All of these will grow in a small gravel but I have never seen a good substrate at walmart fro growing plants. I would go to a LFS and get the small natural river run gravel as it seems to be better than the epoxy colored gravel and even the Natural gravel at Walmart looks eopxy coated.