Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Adding Snails/ghost shrimp to a tropical tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/adding-snails-ghost-shrimp-tropical-tank-69630/)

FishyParents 05-04-2011 08:04 PM

Adding Snails/ghost shrimp to a tropical tank

I am some what interested in adding snails and ghost shrimp in my 75 gallon tropical aquarium.
I currently do not have anything in the tank. But here is a list of what COULD be added to the tank:
  • Red Belly Pacu
  • Leporinus Fasciatus
  • Silver Tipped Shark
  • Clown Loach
  • Upside Down Catfish
  • Pictus Catfish
  • Ghost Catfish
  • Cory Catfish
  • Dalmatian Mollies
  • Plecos
  • Tiger Barbs
  • Opaline Gourami
  • Blue & Gold Gourami
  • black kuhli loach
  • Bala Shark
  • Rainbow Shark
  • African Featherfin Catfish
  • African Brown Knife
  • Dinosaur Bichir
  • Black Ghost Knife
  • Striped Peacock Eel
  • Angel Fish

NOTICE:: This is a list of considered fish to put into the fish tank. There will probably be no more than 15 fish in this tank. So if you see anything that will NOT do well together. Please KINDLY tell us. My last fish tank was a 20 gallon with a shubunkin, pleco and 2 corys. They had somehow lived years together very well. But I now know a shubunkin should NOT be put with plecos and corys.

I want to add snails and ghost shrimp, but I also do want to make sure they wont get bothered or eaten by the chosen fish.

Grimmjow 05-05-2011 08:19 AM

Thats a pretty big range of fish. Right off the bat I'd say not to even get the pacu, clown loach, and black ghost knife just cause of their size, ify on a pleco unless its a smaller kind. Probably not on the sharks and tiger barb just cause they can be aggresive. Not sure on the eel and bichir.

Afaik the rest should be fine. They will also appreciate lots of plants and hiding spots.

FishyParents 05-05-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimmjow (Post 665935)
Thats a pretty big range of fish. Right off the bat I'd say not to even get the pacu, clown loach, and black ghost knife just cause of their size, ify on a pleco unless its a smaller kind. Probably not on the sharks and tiger barb just cause they can be aggresive. Not sure on the eel and bichir.

Afaik the rest should be fine. They will also appreciate lots of plants and hiding spots.

so cross out the pacus, clown loach, black ghost knife......along with the sharks and tiger barb? As with the last two I was confused on wither or not to cross them out because of how you worded it.

Grimmjow 05-05-2011 11:21 AM

Not sure as in I dont know much about them, but them being bottom dwellers and Im pretty sure theyd both eat small fish given the chance I dont think theyd be a good match for shrimps.

Going by size alone, the pacu, clown loach, bgk, and bala shark all get 12+ inches. And with sharks I just think they can be pretty teritorial and a little shrimp wouldnt be much of a match for them.

Not many things bother snails, some loaches eat them and puffers eat them but most community fish would probably leave them alone.

And Ive seen tiger barbs be pretty mean.