Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   How much should I feed Baby Brine Shrimp to angelfish fry? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/how-much-should-i-feed-baby-69538/)

migdem 05-03-2011 02:14 PM

How much should I feed Baby Brine Shrimp to angelfish fry?

I am going to start the culture of Baby Brine Shrimp for my fry. To start with I am going to put 1/4 of a teaspoon for now.

The questions are:-

1. After how much should I start another culture? ps that I am going to leave it in room temp around 24-25 degrees celcius.
2. how much ml should I put in the syringe to feed to my fry? I am going to try and feed them twice or 3 times daily.
3. Can I put some small pond snails to eat the access of the bbs?
4. Also How much teaspoons or grams of salt should I put in 1 litre of water? My paper is telling me 4 teaspoons but I rather ask other opinions.

Thank you

leogtr 05-03-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migdem (Post 664626)
I am going to start the culture of Baby Brine Shrimp for my fry. To start with I am going to put 1/4 of a teaspoon for now.

The questions are:-

1. After how much should I start another culture? ps that I am going to leave it in room temp around 24-25 degrees celcius.
2. how much ml should I put in the syringe to feed to my fry? I am going to try and feed them twice or 3 times daily.
3. Can I put some small pond snails to eat the access of the bbs?
4. Also How much teaspoons or grams of salt should I put in 1 litre of water? My paper is telling me 4 teaspoons but I rather ask other opinions.

Thank you

how does it come? in little cubes?

migdem 05-03-2011 03:51 PM

no in eggs. I am going to hatch them.

AbbeysDad 05-04-2011 10:55 AM

1. After how much should I start another culture? ps that I am going to leave it in room temp around 24-25 degrees celcius. In a separate container you should begin another culture 12-24 hours after the first and continue the rotation if you want a constant supply. Call me lazy - I am using Frozen baby Brine Shrimp.

2. how much ml should I put in the syringe to feed to my fry? I am going to try and feed them twice or 3 times daily. It depends on the number of fry - as much as they will consume in 2 or 3 minutes. Remember that you need to rinse well to remove the salt - best done with a nylon net made for brine shrimp.
Also, for balance, I'd suggest alternating the shrimp with other foods like Hikari Tropical First Bites and/or ground up tropical fish food.

3. Can I put some small pond snails to eat the access of the bbs? bbs? I don't know about pond snails, but have read here that Mystery snails can be beneficials for fry.

4. Also How much teaspoons or grams of salt should I put in 1 litre of water? My paper is telling me 4 teaspoons but I rather ask other opinions. Your 'paper'?
That sounds about right, but follow the instructions that came with the brine shrimp eggs and you should be good.

migdem 05-04-2011 11:08 AM

if I put baby brine shrimp with salt in it would it kill the fry?

AbbeysDad 05-04-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migdem (Post 665250)
if I put baby brine shrimp with salt in it would it kill the fry?

It likely won't be good - I wouldn't do it, but have never tried. I have always heeded the recommendations to rinse to remove the salt.
In the beginning, I used the hatchery where you attach a fresh water vial on top and attracted to the light, the shrimp swim up and the salt falls behind. Later I hatched in gallon jars, then pulled the air hose, shined a light to attract and siphoned through a brine shrimp net, rinsed and served. If you don't have a brine shrimp net, you might use a cloth like a handkerchief, old 't'-shirt or something similar. If you wanted to be DIY fancy, you could fashion a handle from a wire coat hanger.

migdem 05-04-2011 12:00 PM

ok so an old t-shirt would work find?

I will buy a net next week though.

AbbeysDad 05-04-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migdem (Post 665274)
ok so an old t-shirt would work find?

I will buy a net next week though.

Sure...as long as water will pass through...and baby brine shrimp do not.

migdem 05-04-2011 12:09 PM

Will try it out tomorrow.

Thank you :D

redchigh 05-08-2011 12:02 PM

The salt is such a small amount.. Don't worry about it.

Don't use a dropper though.. Use a strainer small enough to filter BBS. Cotton fabric also works well, if you have an old T-shirt you can cut up.

I agree, start a new culture every 24 hours for a continuous supply. BBS are only nutritious the first 24 hours after they hatch, since after that they use up their egg sac and begin starving. If you can find some spirulina powder, then you can extend their nutritional value to a few days by sprinkling a tiny bit in the water every day. (and I mean tiny- wet a toothpick, shake the water off, dip the end in the powder, and what sticks is plenty to feed the bbs.)

Leave a bucket of water outside meanwhile- in a few weeks, you can feed the fry moquito larvae.