Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   What cleaners should I get for my tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/what-cleaners-should-i-get-my-6953/)

rubiconR6 07-08-2007 05:10 PM

What cleaners should I get for my tank?

I have a 46 gallon tank. I have 6 small blue legged hermit crabs. I just recently changed my metal halide bulb and since then algae has went crazy. What other cleaners should I get for my tank?

Gump 07-08-2007 05:17 PM

What do you plan on doing with the tank? is it going to be a fishless reef or do you plan on adding some fish? if so what types?

rubiconR6 07-08-2007 05:33 PM

I have had the tank for a year. I have a yellow tang, copperband, bicolor blenny, yellowtail blue damsel, 2 allen damsels, black velvet damsel, green mandarine goby, 6 blue legged hermit crabs, and 4 types of coral.

Gump 07-08-2007 05:50 PM

Congrats on the copperband how long have you had it?

For clean up some more little hermits (stay away from starry hermits) and some of the smaller snails (ex. nassarius snail) It seems like you already have a good size fish load so id stay away from cleaner type fish.

rubiconR6 07-08-2007 06:26 PM

We have had the copperband for about 8 months. We did have a Clark's clown but he kept eating the invertebrates. Thanks for the advise!!

FishFan 08-13-2007 02:14 PM

Hey Gump,

I have a large (2.5-3 inch) red hermit crab in my tank now and was wondering...would this big red, polka-dotted, hairy legged crab attack a snail smaller than himself? I, thought their main purpose for attacking snails was for their shell, but his shell would be sooo much bigger than the typical small snails.

What do you think?

novicedave 08-18-2007 09:18 PM

algae bloom

im not an aqaurium pro...but...when i upgraded my lighting from 40 watt flourescent to 260 watts i experienced a bloom as well. fortunatelly i realized it right away and added about 15 small blue legs and 8 more snails.. although i think lessening my photo period was the key factor. mind you i do not have any corals yet so i could do that . depending on what type of corals you have and knowing their requirements you could lessen your photo period as well or at least untill your new tank mates get a hold of the bloom...logically more light more algae less light less algae...its finding the right combination of lighting time required and inhabitants to control the algae

caferacermike 08-18-2007 11:44 PM

I'm thinking you had way to many excess nutrients in the tank and the extra light caused the algae to thrive in the dirty tank water. I'd suggest frequent water changes to bring the parameters in check, possibly remove some of the fish/up the filtration or skimmer. I would never blame the lighting, not ever. It's not the lights fault the tank is dirty enough to provide a food source for the algae.

novicedave 08-19-2007 12:50 AM

algae bloom

again im no pro but i do know science...and im not blaming the light or saying you dont need it cause you do but the reality is photosynthesis cannot occur without light hence no light no algae....just a simple reality!!!!

novicedave 08-19-2007 12:57 AM

algaebloom

oh and by the way during my algae bloom my water parameters were perfect...via my testing and my lfs testing as well