Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Sand from HD help (not PS) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sand-hd-help-not-ps-69470/)

zfarsh 05-02-2011 04:38 PM

Sand from HD help (not PS)

Hi, just went to Home Depot and saw the following 3 non-play sand (i want something darker than tan or white):
King Construction Sand = 5.19 $ / 30kg
King Jointing Sand = 6.97 $ / 25kg
Sakrete Sand Mix = 4.79 $ / 30 kg
The two from kind seemed to look natural, but cant say as i havent really seen it wet in aquarium. Anyone have these, do you have pics, and are these ok for fish, will have botom feeding fish and those that like to bury in it.

AbbeysDad 05-02-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zfarsh (Post 663961)
Hi, just went to Home Depot and saw the following 3 non-play sand (i want something darker than tan or white):
King Construction Sand = 5.19 $ / 30kg
King Jointing Sand = 6.97 $ / 25kg
Sakrete Sand Mix = 4.79 $ / 30 kg
The two from kind seemed to look natural, but cant say as i havent really seen it wet in aquarium. Anyone have these, do you have pics, and are these ok for fish, will have botom feeding fish and those that like to bury in it.

I'm not certain about the first two, but you sure don't want any part of Sakrete Sand Mix cause that's a concrete mix (It just doesn't have a gravel aggregate)!!!

Byron 05-03-2011 11:42 AM

I may be in HD later this morning and will take a look at these. I know (as mentioned in that other thread) that I have found one of them to be sharp. I'll give them a feel:lol: when I'm there.

AbbeysDad 05-03-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 664554)
I may be in HD later this morning and will take a look at these. I know (as mentioned in that other thread) that I have found one of them to be sharp. I'll give them a feel:lol: when I'm there.

wow - you need to get out more as that sounds like a whole new level of desperate!~ lol

zfarsh 05-03-2011 11:52 AM

well, i am desperate. I am holding off to going to Big Al to get the Tank and Filter to see which sand to get, as if the one from home depot / lowes work, then i dont need to spend 100 - 150 $ from Big Al for black sand, but if it doesnt, i get 20% off on the sand from Big Al if i buy it with aquarium, stand, filter. (it is still way more than play sand though)

zfarsh 05-03-2011 11:53 AM

any picture anyone of King Play Sand (home depot) or Quikrete Play Sand (Lowes) current sands (i am told they are both "tan"?

Byron 05-03-2011 12:19 PM

I'm assuming the "black sand" from Big Al's is this one, the Tahitian Moon Sand?
Instant Aquarium Substrate Tahitian Moon

Byron.

[If you can wait, I am heading out this morning, and I will check out the sand at HD.]

zfarsh 05-03-2011 12:43 PM

yup, i am waiting ;), the difference in price is humoungous

Byron 05-03-2011 02:44 PM

OK, been to HD. They still have the Quickrete playsand I have, and looking at it in the store I can see how they would say it is tan, it does look that colour. You saw the photos of my tanks, it is a darkish gray wet. There is no "colour" indication on the package.

The paver sand by same manufacturer (I think it is spelled Quickrete) looks near-identical. I picked up some from the floor, though can't be sure it is this one, and it doesn't feel sharp. However, given the price is the same (maybe a dollar different), I would get the playsand. I have it, and it is fine.

They don't have the "King" brand here. But I would avoid construction sand, or anything intended for concrete mixing. The "jointing" sand is the same thing as the "paver" sand, in its purpose.

Hope this helps a bit.

Byron.

zfarsh 05-03-2011 02:55 PM

Byron,

Thanks for checking. Few questions/comments:

Comments:
-Both the King and Quikrete are available in play sand, however, the King is available here at Home Depot, whilst the Quikrete is available at Lowes (far from our house).

Questions:
- Did you buy some new sand, if so, do you know exactly what is written on the package, so i be sure to buy the exact same thing? I will go to Lowes and see if it is the same, and if so buy it.
- How did you get to see the sand in the store, dont they have to over it?
- Is there different thickness, or just one finnesss?

- How did you wash the sand?
- Did you mix the sand with anything else, such as florite? If so, which one exactly? I really love the color on yours ;).
- Do i need two bags of 20 kgs (i think thats 44lbs) for a 75 gallon tank???

thanks