Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Excess Food in Fry tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/excess-food-fry-tank-69466/)

migdem 05-02-2011 03:35 PM

Excess Food in Fry tank

I am going to give them microworms as soon as they are free swimming.

How much should I give them per feed? I am going to give them twice (1 morning and 1 at night or else (1 morning, 1 at 5pm and another at 11pm)

Also can I put another species that will eat the excess of food like microworms? something maybe a snail or something else.

bettababy 05-03-2011 02:00 AM

What species are the fry? There are usually safe options for clean up crew, but I would need to know the fish fry species and size of the tank before I could suggest something safe for your situation.

migdem 05-03-2011 02:48 AM

angelfish fry

bettababy 05-03-2011 05:36 PM

Once the fry are free swimming my choice of clean up animal would be a mystery snail. If you work with trumpet snails or rams horns then you have the issue of rapid reproduction, which also makes more waste than they end up helping to clean up. Snails can be quite dirty. A single mystery snail should be able to handle the job without the breeding issues getting out of control, etc.

How much to feed the fry depends on a few things... first and foremost, the size of the tank they are in and the amount of circulation & filtration in that tank. The other thing that will determine how much and how often is the fry themselves. Watch them as they eat, watch for full bellies. I feed my angel fry on newly hatched brine shrimp and its pretty apparent when they are full because you can see the pinkish bellies fill up. (pinkish colored because of the brine) It will be important to keep watch over how quickly they digest the food and need more because they will stuff themselves to near bursting if you allow them to with too much food. At that age they don't know real restraint or anything about being full. If you feed them in the morning and come night they still have full tummies, then skip the nightly feeding and wait until morning. My fry are about 6 wks old and have only ever eaten once/day, they are now approaching dime size... an example of needs and growth rates. How many fry you need to feed will differ from spawn to spawn, so you may need more or less than what another spawn needs... let the fish tell you.
And... lastly, keep the water very clean. If you feed in the morning do a water change in the evening. If you feed in the evening do a water change in the morning. If you wait 1/2 - 1 hr before doing the water change you can be assured they are full and anything you are then removing is excess. Track that excess and use it to help you determine how much to offer at the next feeding. It takes a little time but you will quickly learn how to balance everything appropriately. Either way, fry will do best if they have something of a daily water change, even if its 10%.

I hope this helps.

migdem 05-03-2011 05:49 PM

ok thank you very very much for this nice info :)

about the mystery snail should it be adult or baby?

bettababy 05-03-2011 05:53 PM

No matter, but keep in mind that the smaller snail will produce less waste of its own. Mystery snails are pretty efficient at clean up in these types of situations even when they are small, so if it were mine, I would opt for a smaller one to get started.

migdem 05-03-2011 06:21 PM

that is the hard part to get one small but I will try ;)