Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My Dwarf Puffer tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-dwarf-puffer-tank-69444/)

Boredomb 05-02-2011 10:53 AM

My Dwarf Puffer tank!

4 Attachment(s)
I have been talking about building a DP tank for awhile now, Well last night I finally I started setting up what I have gotten so far here are some pics of what I have done.
There many things that I learned during this setup and many things that I will do differently next time LoL
THe first thing I did was rinse the sand which was a long process mainly because my daughter wanted to "help". :lol:
So with all the sand rinsed and in the tank I proceed to fill up the tank completely not thinking I need to wait till I place my plants and decorations in the tank first.
Well I let the water and sand settler down for a couple of hours waiting till my daugther goes to bed.
Finally about 11 or 12 I started working on the tank after drain some of the water so I could place the driftwood first and work around it. Hoping it would sink this time but NOO it refuses to. So now I have to drain the water completely in the tank which wasn't easy since my siphon didn't want to pull some of the sand out of the tank for my to get all the water out but I finally got it out.
I used some suction cups which I had Hoping with those and some fishing line I had gotten would work.
Now I don't know if anyone has ever tried to place suction to glass that has sand on it but it is not as easy as it sounds :lol: keeping in mind it is late at this point and I am not thinking straight. After fighting with the wet sand and the suction cups I finally got the peice of wood "tied down" and the planted in the tank along with some plants that I got.
I say "tied down" because when I got up this morning and looked at the tank two of the suction cups let go and the driftwood was stand up. So I had some rocks left over so I cut the cups off and placed the rocks over that end of the wood and it is holding it down for now. Hoping it will stay and the other suction cup won't turn loose. This is still a working process and I am planning on getting more plants later this week before the little guys/gals get here on friday.
Well here is some pics of what I did and what happened LoL.

LasColinasCichlids 05-02-2011 11:54 PM

It is very beautiful. But I do suggest adding much more as far as plants and such go especially if keeping more than one DP. And even if just one DP, the more plants and rocks the better so they dont get bored and surf the tank walls. Which you may know all of this already and not be done, but I thought I would mention it.

I just set up my 15g not but a week or two ago, and I did it in sand...so I will just say that I feel your pain on the sand drama...lol.

Boredomb 05-03-2011 12:23 AM

I will be getting 5 DP total on Friday. I am planning on going to some LFS though the week to pick up some more plants plus I still have some at home in another I can to that tank as well. I may also add some rocks not sure on that but differently more plants for sure. Thank! It is a working process that I am enjoying doing.

Boredomb 05-03-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 664352)
I will be getting 5 DP total on Friday. I am planning on going to some LFS though the week to pick up some more plants plus I still have some at home in another I can to that tank as well. I may also add some rocks not sure on that but differently more plants for sure. Thank! It is a working process that I am enjoying doing.

WOW!! I can not talk today :shock: that was suppose to say I still have some at home in another tank that I can use as well.

gmyers0203 05-03-2011 02:01 PM

Looks good! Can't wait to see the finished product!

How many tanks do you have set up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 05-03-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmyers0203 (Post 664618)
Looks good! Can't wait to see the finished product!

How many tanks do you have set up?
Posted via Mobile Device

I have one 55 gallon with 7 colombian tetras and 3 oto catfish. I 10 gallon with some snails and clippings of plants from my 55 gallon and the 29 gallon one that I am working on now

Grimmjow 05-04-2011 05:08 AM

What size tank is that that youre putting 5 in? Def put a lot of plants in, they explore a lot and look so goofy doing it. Looks pretty nice so far though.

The hardest part of keeping them is not giving in to their feed me face, which they put on the second anybody comes near the tank.

Are you keeping just puffers in there? I have mine with a couple otos and 2 ghost shrimp.

Boredomb 05-04-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimmjow (Post 665143)
What size tank is that that youre putting 5 in? Def put a lot of plants in, they explore a lot and look so goofy doing it. Looks pretty nice so far though.

The hardest part of keeping them is not giving in to their feed me face, which they put on the second anybody comes near the tank.

Are you keeping just puffers in there? I have mine with a couple otos and 2 ghost shrimp.

It is a 29tall. I have add more plants already plus before I get them I will get some more plants. The tank is going to be just for the puffers. I had thought about adding some otos but not sure if I will. How does yours do with the shrimp? They don't see them as food or is that why you have them in there? Just curious I have heard shrimp are a hit or mess with DPs.

Grimmjow 05-04-2011 01:54 PM

Pretty well but I think hes a passive puffer, Ive even seen them smack him when he comes for their share of blood worms.

SinCrisis 05-04-2011 02:03 PM

i asked the same question on another forum specializing in DPs and they all say its totally dependent on the puffer. Many have success but just as many have not. I would introduce the shrimp first and have the puffer in later so hes acclimating into their habitat instead of them acclimating into his where he would be more likely to see them as food rather than tankmates.