Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Easy plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/easy-plants-69433/)

kane chisholme 05-02-2011 06:47 AM

Easy plants

So I haven't been that into aquarium plants in the past but I'm starting to think they would suit my aquarium. I was just wondering, what sort of plants would be good beginner plants for me? I would like ones that thrive and grow without much care to lighting etc and not just die in a few months.
So basically my question is: name a few aquarium plants that are easy to care for.
Thankyou

Clubber 05-02-2011 07:13 AM

Most anubias plants are undemanding and require little light. Java ferns and bolbitus tend to be the same in my experience.

Wisteria and sags have grown for me in any substrate even sand and under standard hood lighting with no additives such as ferts.

kane chisholme 05-02-2011 07:17 AM

Cool thanks, people have mentioned pennywort. You got any idea how that goes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Clubber 05-02-2011 07:19 AM

No not from experience. I am going to be keeping some brazilian pennywort in my coming betta tank however.

kane chisholme 05-02-2011 07:37 AM

Oh ok, good luck with that & thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 05-02-2011 01:32 PM

Knowing your light would help; can you tell us what it is (type, kelvin, watts, etc)?

kane chisholme 05-02-2011 05:12 PM

Its an energy saving one, cool white colour, 13w which equals 65w normal in globes.
Posted via Mobile Device

kane chisholme 05-02-2011 05:13 PM

And it's a screw in if that helps
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 05-02-2011 05:51 PM

Good. That's a compact fluorescent bulb. Cool white is fine. I use the "daylight" which has a 6500K and probably very near identical.

To the plants. You asked about easy care; that can mean a couple of different things to different people, but I will go on the basis of less maintenance. In general, avoid stem plants; they grow fast which means regular trimming/pruning. I just finished responding to a similar question in another thread, so I'll copy over what I wrote there.

I would look to the swords. Several are in our profiles, Echinodorus bleherae as a specimen plant would be lovely, with Pygmy chain sword or the similar-looking Sagittaria subulata, Dwarf Sword, and maybe crypts (Cryptocoryne species) though these can be fussy and "melt" if things are not just so. Corkscrew Vallisneria is different from the others, and does quite well esp in medium hard water.

Floating plants are beneficial to fish and water conditions. Ceratopteris cornuta if you can find it, or if not, the stem plant Brazilian Pennywort is ideal left floating.

I find the above (except for the crypts) very hardy, easy plants. All are in our profiles [click the shaded names]. Depending what nutrients occur naturally from your tap water (regular weekly water changes) and fish foods, you may need to use a general fertilizer. I recommend Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement as the best I've found. It is not really as expensive as it might seem, since you use so little of it. Example, only 1/2 teaspoon once a week for a 30g tank.

Byron.

kane chisholme 05-03-2011 06:21 AM

Thanks alot, I'll do a bit of research on them and hopefully come up with the right plant for me, my aquarium and my fish.
Posted via Mobile Device