Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Angelfish eggs hatched in community. When should I move them? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/angelfish-eggs-hatched-community-when-should-69399/)

migdem 05-01-2011 03:47 PM

Angelfish eggs hatched in community. When should I move them?

Hi all,

My angelfish eggs just hatched in the community tank and the are stuck on the filter.

Should I move them now or should I wait until free swimming? I am going to move them by syphoning them.

Also I have microworms for them should these be enough?

nice pirhana 06-23-2011 09:37 PM

i plan on getting some angel fish myself.

id like to know this too :-)

Fishylover27 06-23-2011 10:26 PM

Congrats:-D Never had Angel Fish before, but they are beautiful!!! Wish I could help:| Good luck!!:-)

trit0n2003 06-23-2011 11:34 PM

congrats! i have a group of 7 angels and was lucky enough to get 3 breeding pairs. I move them into a breeding tank and i have been trying to get them to raise the fry themselves (like in nature :)). So far no luck as the new parents keep eating them once they are free swimming. BUT i will keep trying, hopefully one of my 3 pairs will be suitable parents to raise the fry themselves.

My pairs:
gold (male)/ gold (female)
gold (male)/ marble (female)
gold (male)/ silver wild (female)

But back to your question, Is there any way you can move the eggs without syphoning them? Im not sure how well they will do if you just syphon them out and they are all laying on the bottom of the tank you put them in. BUT i would try to move them out asap so there is less chance of being eaten and also it will be harder to catch them as free swimmers. Also if they are still on the filter when they become free swimmers they will most likely get sucked up and killed unless there is a sponge over the filter intake, hopefully the parents will move the eggs.

Do you have a cycled tank setup to keep them and grow them out in?

If you dont have a cycled tank setup to breed in, you might just let this spawn go on its own and see how far it goes. Then get another tank setup and let it cycle and then move the parents into it and try breeding them in there, once they spawn you can decide to do what i did and keep them with the eggs or you can just move them back to the community tank and raise the eggs yourself.

Also for the breeding tank either use a Sponge filter or fit a big sponge tightly over an HOB or canister filter intake to make them fry safe.

as for food, i use BBS or hikari first bites. Im sure micro worms will be fine too though. There are lots of food choices. no need to feed them yet though, i think it is day 7 after laying when you first feed them.

Good Luck!

kattty 06-24-2011 12:00 PM

Hey..
I actually just went through what your going through 2 months or so ago. Now my angels are laying eggs every 6-10 days..blows my mind haha..They are also in a community type grow out tank.

I've read most captive raised angel fish have lost the majority of their parental instincts and thus, will most likely have a very..very tastey treat out of those eggs. If you do decide to leave them in the tank, they will most likely be eaten when the lights get turned off by other fish in the tank.

I moved mine over to a 20 gallon tank that I set up when they laid their first initial batch, They ate those but, I left the tank running and did more research.

The problem is, if you decide to raise these guys artificially, you're most likely going to require dosing the eggs in a fungicid....however you spell that. I chose methalyn blue,works wonders. The problem with this stuff is it kills off any beneifical bacteria in the filter.

My last batch that was laid 2 days ago now goes into a 2 galloon jar with airstone and mini heater and I dose that with the MB. I've been lucky enough that they ususally lay on the intake pipe for the filter, and I have alternative parts for said filter so ,I just swap it out and it's very easy to remove the eggs.
Mine refuse to lay eggs on all the slate I've so generously placed around the tank..*Sighs*..

Good luck on whatever you decide! pictures.???

trit0n2003 06-24-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kattty (Post 710860)
Hey..
I actually just went through what your going through 2 months or so ago. Now my angels are laying eggs every 6-10 days..blows my mind haha..They are also in a community type grow out tank.

I've read most captive raised angel fish have lost the majority of their parental instincts and thus, will most likely have a very..very tastey treat out of those eggs. If you do decide to leave them in the tank, they will most likely be eaten when the lights get turned off by other fish in the tank.

I moved mine over to a 20 gallon tank that I set up when they laid their first initial batch, They ate those but, I left the tank running and did more research.

The problem is, if you decide to raise these guys artificially, you're most likely going to require dosing the eggs in a fungicid....however you spell that. I chose methalyn blue,works wonders. The problem with this stuff is it kills off any beneifical bacteria in the filter.

My last batch that was laid 2 days ago now goes into a 2 galloon jar with airstone and mini heater and I dose that with the MB. I've been lucky enough that they ususally lay on the intake pipe for the filter, and I have alternative parts for said filter so ,I just swap it out and it's very easy to remove the eggs.
Mine refuse to lay eggs on all the slate I've so generously placed around the tank..*Sighs*..

Good luck on whatever you decide! pictures.???

i never use methalyn blue, i dont think you have to use it if the parents are caring for the eggs like mine and constantly fanning and cleaning them.

kattty 06-24-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trit0n2003 (Post 710948)
i never use methalyn blue, i dont think you have to use it if the parents are caring for the eggs like mine and constantly fanning and cleaning them.

No you def don't..it's only for artificially caring for the eggs so they don't develop a fungus on them from lack of parents fanning/cleaning them...:) also with the use of an airstone to articially"fan" the eggs...

I actually would NEVER use MB if I had the parents in the tank..lol or any other fish for that matter..like I mentioned it'd kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter(s) ..that's why these eggs are in a smaller container so I don't have to loose any of that in my fry tanks.

I wish I could let my angels do all the work but, they refuse and rather eat the eggs. I heard any amount of stress though would cause them to eat the eggs(other fish being in the tank??)....So I suppose at some point I'd like to set up a tank with just the two angels and see how it goes....similiar to what you have going on trit0n2003

migdem 06-24-2011 05:34 PM

ok I have got only 1 batch so far. Did not spawn again and I do not know why :((((

anyway what I did is when they hatched to wigglers I moved them in a 26 litre tank with sponge filter. I used same water of main tank but sponge was not cycled. Also I lost a few due to fungus but just a few. I tried to do a water change everyday to remove the film from the bottom. When they are free swimming i gave bbs and microworms. Mainly I started microworms for first 3-4 days and then bbs only. I also got some small mystery snails (apple snails) so that they will eat the excess of food. after 1 month i moved them to a 75 litre tank with a sponge filter continued feeding bbs and started flakes. Now I mainly feed flakes and little bbs so that those that did not start eating flakes they still get some food from the bbs. So far so good after 2 months. Just a side not they spawned in 6.6 PH and SLOWWWLLLLLYYYYYYY I got them to 8PH so far so good. I do 8% water change daily practically I remove all the poops from the bottom and replace water with same ph.

Thats all folks. Just got a problem..... I CANNOT GET THEM TO SPAWN AGAIN DAMN THEM :(