Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angel fish question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angel-fish-question-69353/)

Crocer 05-01-2011 03:00 AM

Angel fish question

Can I keep 2 angel fish in the same tank, or does it have to be either 1 single angel or in groups of even numbers? my tank is a 44.5 gallon tank.

L= 36"

W= 12"

H= 24"

Also could I keep a single angel with a three spot gourami in this size of a tank? thanks in advanced for any info.

Cheeseball22 05-01-2011 03:48 AM

yesss, yess u can:-D

Lupin 05-01-2011 04:48 AM

A single angel is absolutely fine but I do not suggest combining the three spot gourami as your choice of tank mate with angels. These gouramis along with dwarf gouramis tend to be more nippy than the likes of pearl gouramis and honey gouramis.

A 44g will fit 4 young angels suitably but you will need back up tanks once they start mating. Angels are very easy to breed and this could mean a lot of trouble for you if it does happen since the mating pair will harass everyone almost to death unless you can separate them in time.

A pair of angels is not doable without plenty of space in case they spawn.

amberjade 05-01-2011 05:11 AM

Angels can be quite difficult as far as tankmates - like Lupin said, they breed easily! And they DO get nasty when they breed.
Gouramis are out as tankmates. Your tank is perfect for a species tank of angels. There are some stunning colour morphs out there. And if you get a group of young ones and grow them up together, they will be more tolerant of each other. Thats my experience with them.
Honestly, angels are not good community fish unless you have space to house them with fish that can stand up to them, like severums and acaras.
Posted via Mobile Device

Crocer 05-01-2011 11:09 AM

thanks for the reply's guys, so definaetly the Gourami's are out, what about mollies, sail fin mollies, giant daino's, or swords? ( with a single angel that is). I have also comtimplated just having 4 angel's and a bushy nosed pleco, but would rather a a more community setup say angel(s?) with one or 2 other species of fish, maybe some mollies and a school of larger tetra's? unless the terta's would be too nippy, then perhaps Mollies and a sword tail with a temp around 75 or 77

Byron 05-01-2011 12:32 PM

I do not consider a 36-inch tank sufficient space for a group of 4 angels. This fish attains 6 inches in length and 8+ inches in height (fins) and needs more space, plus room for other fish. A single angel will work, although the fish is a shoaling species which means they naturally live in groups and have a social structure (bonding) within the group. For the fish's best interests, i would recommend a group in a larger tank.

Have a read of our profile, Pterophyllum scalare is the most common species from which most angels are derived; you can click on the shaded name to see the profile.

Byron.