Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   And then....there were none.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/then-there-were-none-69316/)

MsNaFew 04-30-2011 04:53 PM

And then....there were none....

I'm heartbroken, though I can't blame anyone but myself, for making what's probably a classic newbie mistake. I've lost over 100 fry, after the 3 females dropped and great ones at that. Two of the three females as well. :cry:

I THOUGHT I was doing what was right, I really did. I had the fry separated from the convalescing mommies, in the same ten gal. I thought, "hey! Need to do my wkly 25% water change, gotta get these guys n gals growin'!" And so I did, taking great care to make sure water temp matched that of what I was adding and all the proper chemicals added to it prior ( de-chlorinator and some stress coat ) and slowly put it in the tank.

The next day, all the fry were gone. The day after, both mommies had severe fin rot ( edges of tails and all fins were coated in white and falling away ) and today, despite money and time and saying "Please, oh please, oh please, don't die cuz I wasn't thinking", they're gone.

My son is ticked. At me of-course. And I have to empty this tank and clean it and start all over again. wwahh....:cry:

SeaHorse 04-30-2011 06:11 PM

I feel your pain, and I'm very sorry for your loss, but I'm still not seeing or understanding what you think you did wrong... the water change is normal. My only note is that the tank at 10 gallon is extreemely small for 100 fry that would grow... but that is not the initial problem. Fish commonly eat all their eggs or wigglers or even the bablies, so that is normal too.... what I'm not understanding is what happened to the fins and then the moms dying. What are you thinking happened? What do you think you did wrong?

MsNaFew 04-30-2011 06:54 PM

The only thing I did was a water change. All water parameters were the same, pH, ammonia or lack of, all that stuff. No temp fluctuations, filter working fine. I thought it was the water change, shocking them or something. Doesn't explain massive and aggressive fin rot on the females though. No live food or introduction of anything else. I'm confused and frustrated.

Guppie luver 04-30-2011 07:03 PM

I lost both of my felmae when they gave birth I think it might have been momma stress and babaies need the cleanest posible water.

MsNaFew 04-30-2011 07:12 PM

Hmmm....did the females just...go into the light, so to speak? Mine got, well it HAD to be something I screwed up, right? Fin rot can't be a fluke....they were in great health just prior to the drops. Hmmmm....Ok. Bear with me here, I agree regarding clean water and fry, so....how do you do it? ( scratching head on this one )

Guppie luver 04-30-2011 07:28 PM

they were most likely stressed from dropping

MsNaFew 05-07-2011 02:03 PM

Yes I concur, which, coming from a brand newbie isn't saying much. hank you though, to everyone, for the advice and suggestions. As a lesson learned the hard way, I'll not forget!

redchigh 05-08-2011 12:56 PM

I agree.. Water change was a good thing. Just a horrible coincidence...

Wait, I've got it!!!

Don't mix chemicals. It could have been dosing the stress-coat and dechlorinator at the same time had some wierd reaction. Had you dosed them together before?

MsNaFew 05-08-2011 03:51 PM

I'm replying with a bright red face ( you may be able to see it from here ) and a terrible sinking feeling. Er....yes. I'm gathering this is a big no no? The LFS guy ( yessss, he was obnoxiously helpful and irritatingly young and flattering, hey! much like my male guppies courtship dance! eeewwww...) ahem, back to my admitting that yes, I did dose at the same time.

sigh Oh dear. I killed off my own guppies, didn't I? Oh my gosh, I'm a well meaning chemical wielding guppy fry killer! crap! I sure didn't MEAN to. And while on the subject, um....I added one more thing, later that night, in my realizing I was losing my fry. I added a 2 ml dose of Immune Defense to the tank. I suppose I just made a whopper of a chemical mess, didn't I?

MsNaFew 05-08-2011 03:58 PM

Oh Lord, please forgive me on this blistering hot, we didn't have our window a/c on and are now frying Mothers Day. Please allow the 12 unexpected GINORMOUS Black Molly fry we just found, make it and not die like my last guppy fry did.

I promise to use no chemicals, except de-chlor and only when doing a wc, just please allow these huge, ( do they get this big normally? these fry are the size of 3 wk old guppy fry! they ARE brand new, we have 2 with the egg yolk still attached ) gorgeous babies to make it, my son is trying to name them, even as I type.

It'll be a great Mothers day present, making up for the breakfast in bed drama we had this morning, my son kinda zigged when he should've zagged...Oh please, oh please, oh please!