Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   tiger barb question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/tiger-barb-question-69305/)

ruby716 04-30-2011 01:36 PM

tiger barb question

hi all,

I wanted to know if putting 5 tiger barbs and 2 mickey mouse platies in a 10 gallon tank would be ok? i have a big cave that the fish can swim through like a hiding spot, and a couple of fake plants

bettababy 04-30-2011 04:04 PM

No, that will not work. 5 tiger barbs, if bought very small would only be temporary in a 10 gallon tank. Tiger barbs are too aggressive to mix with platys, they will chew them up quickly, and in a 10 gallon tank, even quicker.

When looking to stock a tank its vital that you do your research on the species, look at aggression levels as well as adult sizes. Always figure your stocking limits based on the adult sizes the fish will get to be as they grow/mature to avoid overstocking and the multitude of problems that it can bring.

The other note, if you decide to keep platys (or other livebearers), if you only wish for 2 of a species be sure they are the same sex. Live bearers should not be paired as 1 male/1female in any size tank due to their breeding habits.

LasColinasCichlids 04-30-2011 10:28 PM

I agree with BettaBaby 100%.
Tiger barbs can be very nasty, especially in smaller numbers and tanks.
In my opinion tiger barbs are best at being dither fish in large cichlid tanks, or in a solo large tank. In the right size tank and in the right enviornment, tiger barbs are a beautiful sight when schooling. But in a 10 gallon will bring devistation.
If you want barbs, try a nicer and smaller species, like cherry barb...even though in a 10 gal 5 cherry barbs would be all you could really put in it in my opinion.

Byron 05-01-2011 01:12 PM

I agree with Dawn and Amanda. We have fish profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page; if the fish name (scientific or common) is exactly the same in a post it will be shaded and you can then click it to see the profile, example Tiger Barb. The info there will explain what has been mentioned.

Byron.

ruby716 05-01-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 663100)
I agree with Dawn and Amanda. We have fish profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page; if the fish name (scientific or common) is exactly the same in a post it will be shaded and you can then click it to see the profile, example Tiger Barb. The info there will explain what has been mentioned.

Byron.

ok so i ended up just getting 4 platys and a cory for the 10 gallon. i know that is ok right?!

LasColinasCichlids 05-01-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby716 (Post 663500)
ok so i ended up just getting 4 platys and a cory for the 10 gallon. i know that is ok right?!

Yeah that is okay as far as stocking goes. However, it depends on what kind of cory you got if you will be able to have enough, as cories like groups of a minimum of 4-6. In a 10 gal I would think you might be able to get 3 in there safely...as 3 is better than one for their group prefrences. What kind of cory did you get?

Byron 05-02-2011 01:20 PM

Agree again. Corys are shoaling fish that must be in groups to be "happy" which means less stress and better health. In a 10g you are limited. If it is one of the three dwarf species, a group of 7 is fine. If one of the more common "average" species, I would have 3, 4 or 5 depending upon the species [some remain relatively small]. Most of the available species are in our profiles, so you can read more there.

ruby716 05-02-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 663524)
Yeah that is okay as far as stocking goes. However, it depends on what kind of cory you got if you will be able to have enough, as cories like groups of a minimum of 4-6. In a 10 gal I would think you might be able to get 3 in there safely...as 3 is better than one for their group prefrences. What kind of cory did you get?

OK GOOD! so the stocking is fine... i have a speckled cory i believe its called.. they dont get big. I have a heater and keep the temp on 78, and an aqueon filter for up to 30 gallons, 3 fake plants, and a cave. I have gravel for the substrate, but I heard that isn't really good for corys, so I was thinking of getting some sand and putting it under the cave over the gravel because he loves it in there. I also got a shrimp too in there. So maybe I will get 1 more cory to make it 2 since they will be buddies? Is that ok?

LasColinasCichlids 05-02-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby716 (Post 663946)
OK GOOD! so the stocking is fine... i have a speckled cory i believe its called.. they dont get big. I have a heater and keep the temp on 78, and an aqueon filter for up to 30 gallons, 3 fake plants, and a cave. I have gravel for the substrate, but I heard that isn't really good for corys, so I was thinking of getting some sand and putting it under the cave over the gravel because he loves it in there. I also got a shrimp too in there. So maybe I will get 1 more cory to make it 2 since they will be buddies? Is that ok?

I would strive to make it at least 3 cories, as they prefer grouping verses pairing.

Depends on the gravel. If the gravel is smooth with no sharp edges they will be fine (my cories are on gravel). However, I do think its important to provide them with a smooth surface, such as a log I have in my tank they are in. Even though sand is generally preferred by almost all bottom dwellers, cories are adaptable and are less likely to cut themselves on rounded gravel like loaches might/will.

Your cory loves it in the cave because he doesnt have the security of a group. Once you add at least 2 more, you will notice a difference in his personality, socialness, and playfulness.

Heater is set at a nice temp. And I like that you have a good filter on the tank.

What kind of shrimp did you get?

ruby716 05-02-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 664135)
I would strive to make it at least 3 cories, as they prefer grouping verses pairing.

Depends on the gravel. If the gravel is smooth with no sharp edges they will be fine (my cories are on gravel). However, I do think its important to provide them with a smooth surface, such as a log I have in my tank they are in. Even though sand is generally preferred by almost all bottom dwellers, cories are adaptable and are less likely to cut themselves on rounded gravel like loaches might/will.

Your cory loves it in the cave because he doesnt have the security of a group. Once you add at least 2 more, you will notice a difference in his personality, socialness, and playfulness.

Heater is set at a nice temp. And I like that you have a good filter on the tank.

What kind of shrimp did you get?

hmmm idk if its smooth. the piece are all different shapes. i have a cave which i think is smooth.. smoother than the gravel.. but i still am gunna put some sand in 1 spot of the tank.. i got shrimp pellets for bottom feeder fish and i put 2 in there and the platies go after it and nip at it lol!! they dont let the cory get to it =(