Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New guy here, pleco question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-guy-here-pleco-question-69304/)

Skooter 04-30-2011 10:24 AM

New guy here, pleco question

Hello, I'm new to this site. I have had fresh water tanks for 20+ years . I am currently up grading from a 36 to a 55 this weekend. For the last four months I have been working on a live plant tank with lots of x-mas moss and other assorted plants.Everything is growing well even w/out 02. For the moment the tank is pretty simple w/only 10 neons a few cherry shrimp 1 huge mystery snail a standard pleco some woot a large porus rock and my new addition a Vamp Pleco. This guy is why I am posting. I have had him for a week and all he does is hide behind the heater.My temp is at 76 and the ph is about 7. I have lots of current from a large bubbler so I do not get it. I have done ton of research only to find conflicting info like "they are shy and like to hide" to "they are social and work the whole tank". I have googled and you tubed a ton and still cant find an answer. Do i get rid of the standard pleco?..turn the heat up 2 to 3 deg? get a cave type hiding spot so I never see him?...ugh!!!..help..help

GwenInNM 04-30-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skooter (Post 662184)
Hello, I'm new to this site. I have had fresh water tanks for 20+ years . I am currently up grading from a 36 to a 55 this weekend. For the last four months I have been working on a live plant tank with lots of x-mas moss and other assorted plants.Everything is growing well even w/out 02. For the moment the tank is pretty simple w/only 10 neons a few cherry shrimp 1 huge mystery snail a standard pleco some woot a large porus rock and my new addition a Vamp Pleco. This guy is why I am posting. I have had him for a week and all he does is hide behind the heater.My temp is at 76 and the ph is about 7. I have lots of current from a large bubbler so I do not get it. I have done ton of research only to find conflicting info like "they are shy and like to hide" to "they are social and work the whole tank". I have googled and you tubed a ton and still cant find an answer. Do i get rid of the standard pleco?..turn the heat up 2 to 3 deg? get a cave type hiding spot so I never see him?...ugh!!!..help..help

This may not help, but my friend had a common Placo for years and years. She just found a better home because he was a bit big for her tank. She never saw him, and he stayed in a rock hide all day, came out only at night and basically uprooted all her live plants she had put in. So, perhaps some are just hiders and others if no hide is available hang out. In the fish stores they are always visible. I'd never want one because they can get to huge!

Gwen

Byron 05-01-2011 12:26 PM

I concur. The common pleco gets very large, attaining 2 feet, and requires a very large tank. It also has a heavy impact on the bioload which can seriously impact water quality. It is also nocturnal by nature, so prone to hiding during daylight.

Among similar type fish, the smaller species in Hypancistrus would be better; they max out at 4-5 inches and would be fine (one only) in a 55g tank. There is also the Bristlenose Pleco, another small species (or several species, there are many "bristlenose" plecos). Some of these are included in our profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top, then click on the Catfish species. When the name is identical in posts to the profile name, scientific or common, it will be shaded as you see for Bristlenose Pleco, and you can click on that to go directly to the profile. But we also have a couple species from the Hypancistrus genus.

And, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad you found and joined us.

Byron.

teddz 05-01-2011 08:59 PM

I think your lighting may be too bright. I've had a Pleco for about 6 months(5-6 in.) and yes I agree they are shy, but ours comes out very often and even chases my son's 6 in. common Goldfish around, when the Goldfish eats his shrimp pellets. So yes I agree they are shy, but ours comes out very often, and even hangs out at the bottom of the tank.

1077 05-02-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skooter (Post 662184)

L007 or Vampire pleco, is carnvivore and will eat shrimplet's and snails if given opportunity.
They require much more current than a bubbler can provide, and some wood would help the fish feel more conmfortable.(two or three pieces)
I too would remove the common pleco for the two are not likely to get along.

aunt kymmie 05-02-2011 06:56 AM

Welcome to TFK, Skooter. I really like Vampire Plecs, I hope by rehoming the Common (should you decide to) that Mr. Vamp shows his face a little more. My LFS has a tank of juvie vamps and I really like the looks and wanted one, but I already have ABNs and Whiptails so my tanks are already stocked!
We are glad you found us!

Skooter 05-02-2011 09:09 AM

I agree. I just need to take the other pleco to the lfs.As for the environment in my 36 gl tank, I have wood and a large porous rock as well as live plants. my filter is meant for a larger tank so the current should be fine and the bubbler really helps circulate the water. With all of that being said I will have a power jet in the new 55 gl tank when its up and running. Hope he does not eat my lil ruby shrimp.

thanks for all your help!