New Tank Vs Used Tank
I was thinking of saving up for a used 100-120 gallon tank.
There's about a hundred or hundred fifty dollar difference, but is it okay to buy a used tank for a bit less or play it safe and buy a new tank? In terms of leaking etc.
How do you inspect the tank for quality (used tank).
I think I can get a new 100 gallon 48x21widex21high for about 350
A used tank is a perfectly good option. Others may have additional specifics to add, but here is what I'd look for:
1) depending on the size of the tank, is the center support across the top in good shape (this is CRITICAL)
2) aesthetics - is the glass or acrylic scratched?
3) Wear and tear - is the trim notched or chipped from rough handling? Missing trim? Any cracks in the glass (duh). :-)
4) Sealant - If it's soft and seems intact, it's probably ok. However, set the tank up outside (make certain the surface or stand is perfectly flat!) and fill 1/3 to 1/2 with water. Wait and watch 24 hours. Fill another 1/2 to 1/3, repeat cycle until tank is full, observing for leaks. If it doesn't leak, you should be ok. Just because it does leak, does not mean you can't reseal it!
5) if you are paranoid, or particularly cautious, you can always re-seal the tank. It's tedious, but not hard and the proper caulk is inexpensive. There are several threads on this forum that discuss resealing tanks.
Saving $$ is always a good idea!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.