Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Just when you thought it was safe, Stealth Pro Heaters (25W, 50W, 75W) Recall!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/just-when-you-thought-safe-stealth-69119/)

stevenjohn21 04-27-2011 09:37 PM

Just when you thought it was safe, Stealth Pro Heaters (25W, 50W, 75W) Recall!!!

Saw this on a few other forums posted by different people. Looks like all the heater sizes that weren't in the last recall are in this one. Previous recall was for heaters 100w and up. This was sent by drsfostersmith, I have no't received anything from petsmart yet.

----

April 20, 2011

Dear STEVE,

We're contacting you with important recall information regarding your Marineland Stealth Pro Heater (25W, 50W, 75W) purchased since October, 2009. United Pet Group (UPG) has determined that a wiring problem can cause the aquarium heaters to overheat or break during normal use, resulting in property damage and posing hazards to consumers.

As a valued customer, your safety and satisfaction is our priority. Please stop using your Marineland Stealth Heater and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

UPG will provide purchasers of the affected products your choice of a free replacement heater (Visi-Therm Deluxe) or mail you a refund check. Please contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 am - 5:30 pm EST Monday through Friday to begin the process.

If you'd prefer to arrange your return/refund through Foster & Smith Aquatics, or to discuss trying a Fluval M Submersible Heater as an alternate replacement instead, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-443-1160. Our friendly customer service representatives are always happy to help you, 7 am-10 pm, CST, 7 days a week.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us help you continue to enjoy your favorite hobby for many years to come!

Sincerely,
Customer Care Team,
Foster and Smith Aquatics
1-800-443-1160
CustomerService@FosterAndSmithAquatics.com

whitecloud34 04-28-2011 11:20 AM

That's terrible. I was actually looking to buy that one couple of months ago! Thank you for posting. I will avoid that line entirely now in the future.

gmyers0203 04-28-2011 02:10 PM

Man, I'm glad you reposted this. I wasn't even aware of the first recall! But I made the call and all will be well shortly!

Inga 04-28-2011 02:28 PM

I appreciated Dr. Foster's and Smith fast action on getting my new heaters to me. They are a great company as far as I am concerned. To bad about the heaters. I actually had one blow in my tank and I was so thankful that I was right in the room when it happened or I would have likely lost all of my fish.