Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   my new project.....the pond (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/my-new-project-pond-69092/)

tommaso889 04-27-2011 03:50 PM

my new project.....the pond

hey all i have started a new project of starting a a pond
it alll started on monday when i was sat in the car with my parents and i was just randomly asking if i could build a pond and to my amazement my dad said yes. so yesterday i started the digging. i have started digging by a stream so i can have pipes coming into the pond from the stream and then back out into the pond.... good or bad idea???? and idea will be apprieciated thankss guyysss :) :) :) :DD

purproadking 04-27-2011 07:36 PM

if you can regulate the flow in and out i think its great, a guy i knew had a freshwater spring on his property and ran the water into his basement and back out again. he kept a big holding tank down there he would put all the catfish he caught to eat in. the fish were from a pretty muddy river and he would leave them in the tank for a week and then eat them. the spring water got rid of any of the fishy taste.

tommaso889 04-28-2011 03:54 PM

finished the digging and out a pipe in today :).should be getting the pond liner on saturday:) and thats really coooooooooool :) the pond liner should be the only thing i have to buy as living on a farm you can find most of the stuff just lying around

tommaso889 04-29-2011 02:34 PM

i have a question.......because i will have water coming in and out will i need to have a filter aswell ??

willow 05-05-2011 03:24 AM

hi
any pictures ?
and i wouldn't have thought you would need one,but hopefully someone
will pop in and give a more helpfull answer.

tommaso889 05-14-2011 03:32 PM

sorry for the late reply i have decided not to get a filter i have finished digging and water is in paving slabs around the side just need plants abd fish :DD any ideas......i will get some pics up tommorrow :)))

willow 05-15-2011 06:42 AM

oooo can't wait for the pictures :-D
depending on how deep you have the pond,to if you can have koi carp or just
goldfish,
comets are nice,they grow 12-14 inches
shubunkins(sp) they're pretty.
Lupin would be handy to comment in this,as he holds a lot of information :-D

Kregory 05-15-2011 07:25 AM

good luck!!! :)

tommaso889 05-16-2011 01:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
pics up

SeaHorse 05-16-2011 03:24 PM

Great pics! Good size too! I have a couple of questions tho? i.e. what temperature is it in the winter where you are in South Wales ? and how deep is your pond? What are you plans to winter over your fish? I do not have a pond nor any experience but I want one bad and I know we have to dig min 3 feet to winter fish over safely here in Ontario. I would rather you stop and dig deeper now if you need to than have fatalities this winter. So just do a little research if you have not already. But I'm insanely jealous!! I want a pond!!