Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   hello all (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-all-69053/)

idrial 04-27-2011 12:22 AM

hello all

Hope you guys are doing well.

I am semi-new to fish keeping... meaning my dad kept tons of tanks all my life but I wasn't always directly involved in taking care of them myself. He did all the hard stuff, and I did the easy stuff. While researching things regarding fish, I find an odd mix of repressed memories and/or information I am glad I clarified in my head. You learn a lot from observation, but not everything.

I'm now grown and have my own personal zoo. I've expanded into fish keeping. I have:

2 Golden Greek tortoises
7 parrots
1 canary
1 betta

I've recently gotten highly interested in dwarf shrimp and snails. I participate heavily in parrot forums and decided it was time I stop bugging my parrot friends about their fish. ;)

Um... other things about me include I am a software engineer. I am also highly allergic to wheat so commercial food for most pets will kill me.

aunt kymmie 04-27-2011 10:23 AM

Welcome to TFK, idrial. SEVEN(!!) parrots?? How do you live with seven parrots? I have one and at times she can seriously test my patience. It's been like living with a perpetual 2 yr old for the last 24 years! And to think her predicted life span is 60 to 80 years! She's a double yellow head. What type of parrots are yours??
Also, which parrot forums?? Maybe I don't want to know....one forum addiction is enough!!

idrial 04-27-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 659846)
Welcome to TFK, idrial. SEVEN(!!) parrots?? How do you live with seven parrots? I have one and at times she can seriously test my patience. It's been like living with a perpetual 2 yr old for the last 24 years! And to think her predicted life span is 60 to 80 years! She's a double yellow head. What type of parrots are yours??
Also, which parrot forums?? Maybe I don't want to know....one forum addiction is enough!!

I have:

+ Two sun conures, one is DNA male... I think the other is a hen but not DNA confirmed
+ DNA hen blue-headed pionus
+ DNA male rosiefrons conure
+ Peach-faced lovebird, no DNA. I think she's a hen due to nesty behavior.
+ DNA female opaline turquoise green cheek conure
+ DNA male turq GCC (on hold... waiting for DNA results for that clutch)

They are certainly high-demand pets, but I've found that somehow there isn't much difference between having 2 versus 4 provided you are consistent about training. I am in the rare position that all of mine get along so they keep each other entertained. Not all parrots will get along... pure luck on my part!

aunt kymmie 04-27-2011 12:31 PM

Pure luck? I'll say! Toby will not tolerate any other birds, period. On occasion I've babysat other birds for friends. I thought Toby would break her beak trying to get out of her cage to go after a Moluccan Cockatoo. She once flew off her stand (didn't get far as her wings are clipped) trying to attack a Blue Front. Toby is great with my dogs and cats though, so that's something.
Are you able to cage more than one parrot together?? :shock:

idrial 04-27-2011 12:56 PM

Here is a video of my flock currently (sans green cheeks).

YouTube - Letting the flock out!

My two suns live in the same cage, but there is a removable divider. The GCCs will be in a similar set up.

willow 04-27-2011 01:11 PM

what can i say apart from WOW,7 parrots !!!!
welcome,hope you'll be very happy here with us.

aunt kymmie 04-27-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrial (Post 659931)
Here is a video of my flock currently (sans green cheeks).

YouTube - Letting the flock out!

My two suns live in the same cage, but there is a removable divider. The GCCs will be in a similar set up.

I think that it is amazing that your parrots can all hang out together. I'm also jealous that all your birds combined can't come near the decibel level that my one parrot can, lol.

idrial 04-27-2011 03:04 PM

Here is my betta... my only current fish. I know the setup is horrid... trying to brainstorm what I want to do with it. I had a concept and then couldn't find all the materials I wanted without buying a million of them. I want to add more plants, get a snail, and some driftwood. Mister betta was a gift and they had no idea that I couldn't just keep him in a jar on my desk.

Byron 04-27-2011 07:38 PM

Hi, and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Beautiful parrots. It is neat the way they are always so interested in their surroundings, like when you were filming.

Byron.

idrial 04-27-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 660331)
Hi, and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Beautiful parrots. It is neat the way they are always so interested in their surroundings, like when you were filming.

Byron.

Thank you! That actually means a lot to me. I invest a lot of time and energy into my flock, and the parrot forum I participate with. I've always loved animals, and it's been a challenge trying to find a good fit that doesn't trigger my allergies.

I'm at high risk of hitting double digits of parrots if I keep this pace up! LOL... I think a shrimp/snail/betta project is a good change of pace.